UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2007 crashes if VBE is not opened first    

dmark
post Apr 21 2009, 05:28 AM
Post #1

Hi
I have developed a database using VBA code learned on the fly, with help form elsewhere on this forum. If I open the database and use a combo box that is calling some code in a module without first opening the VB IDE window, Access crashes with the error below. However, if I open the IDE before I use the form - even if I close it again straight away - everything is fine. Does this point to a particular error I have made for anyone? (Vista Ultimate 32 bit)
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MSACCESS.EXE
Application Version: 12.0.6304.5000
Application Timestamp: 47bd1587
Fault Module Name: VBE6.DLL
Fault Module Version: 6.5.10.24
Fault Module Timestamp: 464105f1
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002409f
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional information about the problem:
LCID: 1033
Brand: Office12Crash
skulcid: 1033
Go to the top of the page

+
pacala_ba
post Apr 21 2009, 08:30 AM
Post #2

UtterAccess Veteran

check your references for 'MISSING'
Import all objects from OLD into NEW one
FOr Try to decompile your DB
-Close all instances of Access
-Remove/desable any startup-code, or hold SHIFT down when starting each DB
-Uncheck Autocorrect (TOOL-OPTIONS-GENERAL-TAB- NAME AUTOCORRECT)
------------
maually : PC-START- RUN and than type all lines (line by line) with 'MSACCESS.EXE'
After /DECOMPILE...do nothing
------------
or with BATCH-FILE here
correct your Access path for MSACCESS.EXE
correct your DB path
If not Secure DB(Admin) than do NOT USE this switches:
/USER PACADM /PWD %MY_pwd%
---------------------------------
FILE: __DECOMPILE.BAT (Create with NotePad)
-----------
echo off
set /p MY_pwd=password...
cls
REM XPAC_DFT.MDB
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "D:\_MOJE\_APL\AC\ADB\xPAC_DFT.MDB" /COMPACT /USER PACADM /PWD %MY_pwd%
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "D:\_MOJE\_APL\AC\ADB\xPAC_DFT.MDB" /DECOMPILE /USER PACADM /PWD %MY_pwd%
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "D:\_MOJE\_APL\AC\ADB\xPAC_DFT.MDB" /COMPACT /USER PACADM /PWD %MY_pwd%
ECHO COMPILE PROJECT AND SAVE ALL, NOW ...
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "D:\_MOJE\_APL\AC\ADB\xPAC_DFT.MDB" /USER PACADM /PWD %MY_pwd%
PAUSE
EXIT
---------------------------------
Optionaly: AC-HELP-DETECT AND REPAIR
Check-ON 'RESTORE DEFAULT SETTINGS'
NEVER , Do NOT KILL your Access Application, but close it regullary
On the other machine the same behaviour ?
Optionaly Try to use undocmneted command SaveAsText/LoadAsText (MDB-TXT-MDB) for all objects
But may be After ALL , allways CRASH...my case
==============================

Edited by: pacala_ba on Tue Apr 21 9:46:15 EDT 2009.
Edited by: pacala_ba on Tue Apr 21 9:46:59 EDT 2009.

+
pacala_ba
post Apr 21 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #3

UtterAccess Veteran

The Simplest way is:
AC-TOOLS-DATABASE UTILITIES-COMPACT AND REPAIR DATABASE
From Code or Immediate window
? CompactRepair( "MyData.mdb","MyData_new_repaired.mdb",true)
if exists Log file (MyData_new_repaired.log)....corruption is there !!!
If Log file NOT exists...DB successfuly repaired
But this works NOT very WELL in Ac 2002/2003, if in AC2007 ?
----------------------
Notice for Decompile (First post):
VBE: TOOLS-OPTIONS-GENERAL TAB
Set compile on Demand = OFF
Break on Unhanled Errors = ON
---------------------
Edited by: pacala_ba on Tue Apr 21 10:59:05 EDT 2009.

+
dmark
post Apr 21 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #4

Thank you for your suggestions. I've run the compact routine and it seems to have worked - although I tried it on the backup of the same database, taken at the same stage of development, and it didn't work, which I really can't figure out! I'm a bit worried about why it happened in case it does it again when I have passed the system to the user. IS this something access does often?

+
pacala_ba
post Apr 21 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #5

UtterAccess Veteran

IS this something access does often ?
I am FIGHTING with dailly Ac2003 crashes, ....
--------------------
My crashes expierience:
Make allways *** BACKUP ***
Do not use short declaration ($,%,!,...)
Do not use Command COLONS ':'
Do not use very Long code lines
Do not use Big(?) number of references. Uncheck unused (some of them may be 'dangerous' TreeView,..)
Do not use Large Front End MDEs (my case ~ 10MB), but i can not say the Limit for MDE....
I have read DB- Encryption MAY BE potentially CrashStarter....(?)
Do not Edit code while Running , but sometimes it is problem....
Do not use Password for VBE-Editor, after CRASH it is better without password (Use Secure MDB).
Do not use Large Startup-forms
I have read that conditional compiler constants (#Const) MAY BE a problem for /Decompile.....(?)
The most stable is Singel User+ Local Data

+
Hum
post May 15 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #6

I've been suffering from this problem for a while, tearing my hair out trying to find exactly where the problem is. While I've not found what is the underlying cause I've found a way to fix the problem.
. Open the database and close any open forms.
2. Press ALT+F11 to open the code editing window
3. Navigate to the code for the form that is crashing.
4. Cut all the code (CTRL+A then CTRL+X)
5. Paste the code back again (CTRL+V)
This completely solved the problem for me but it's always a good idea to make a backup before you trying anything drastic.
Happy coding!
Some keywords for google to pick up as this was the only page I found dealing with this problem;
Access 2007 crash when design form, open form crash, Fault Module Timestamp: 464105f1, access 2007 crash vista, design form crash

+
Bob_L
post May 18 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #7

Utterly Banned

One more issue which I didn't see addressed is that if you are using a NON-SPLIT database (FE/BE with FE on user's machine) over a network, then the chances for corruption and these crashes will be greatly increased.
When I started working for large healthcare company, they were crashing a database weekly, if not more often. I found out that the database was split, but there were 100 users using the same FE file over the network. Once we moved them to having the FE on each user's machine, they stopped having issues and in the year I was there it never crashed again.

+
okerix
post Jun 2 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #8

The cut and paste of the vb code worked out for me. Thanks a bunch for the information. What causes a db to work one day and run into this error the next.

+
Bob_L
post Jun 2 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #9

Utterly Banned

Frankly there are so many possibilities that it is hard to list and there are also some "unknown" situations as well. One of the biggest is that you have someone connected to a database file when a network disruption occurs (no matter how short) and that can lead to corruption. But, if you have a split database (FE / BE) then you are less likely to have that problem and if you do it is likely the FE which then can be just given to the user anew and you haven't lost data. But if you don't have it split and a network disruption occurs while someone is in it, then you can have a good chance of kissing your app and your data goodbye unless you have good backups and even then you lost a lot of work most likely.

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 08:27 AM

Tag cloud: