UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access Data To Pdf Fillable Form    

SparrowCathy
post Jul 22 2011, 12:11 PM
Post#1

Have visited this topic in the past but never had time to delve into it deeply, and now am in a place am needing to learn how to send Access data to a PDF fillable form. Am having trouble making sense out of what I'm finding and am hoping possibly someone has a sample or link/help available.
Has following this tutorial to read data from PDF in hopes of once that was accomplished, could write to PDF:
http://www.khk.net/wordpress/2010/09/23/re...ields-with-vba/
It is giving me object required error on this line:
' get the information from the form fields Text1 and Text2
Text1 = jso.getField("Text1").Value
Text2 = jso.getField("Text2").Value
First I created a simple PDF with 2 fields, text1 and text2, and entered test data. Created a matching table in Access but don't know what I'm doing.
Also found much info on iTextSharp, but am not knowledgable about VB or .net, so not sure if this is a viable direction or how to implement in an Access/VBA environment.
Also found this link, but am not having luck implementing that idea, either.
Anyone had any success in this type of thing, and if so any sample or starter help or links? Thank you very much.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jul 22 2011, 12:31 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,
That version of Access are you using? I don't have Acrobat, so can you please post a test PDF? Thanks.

SparrowCathy
post Jul 22 2011, 12:42 PM
Post#3

Access 2003. Attached is sample form, it's from LiveCycle Designer and has been extended for Reader. The text fields names are - top = Text1, bottom = Text2
Please let me know if you need anything else, thank you.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  sampleForm.zip ( 80.25K )Number of downloads: 121

theDBguy
post Jul 22 2011, 02:57 PM
Post#4

Hi,
Thanks, Cathy. But it seems that the code wouldn't work for me without Acrobat Pro installed on my machine (I only have the reader).
I'll have to try it later on a different machine when I get a chance.
Cheers

SparrowCathy
post Jul 22 2011, 10:34 PM
Post#5

Thank you for checking. If pro is needed vs reader, I will have to go another direction, as most of the users will only have reader. Have been enabling reader rights on the LiveCycle forms and so far have only been using them as forms and have been able to collect the data in the response file and use it when the forms are returned, but am looking to be able to send data from Access to a PDF form to expand functionality. Main reason for trying PDF is that we've been having a terrible time with an Access to Word Bookmark setup that worked well for years but when the remote machines moved to Office 2007 under IT 'tweaked' Office/OS images, things started breaking and all the bookmarks land in one spot in the Word form, and when Access opens, I have to programmatically open Word in the background, otherwise in their environment, it won't open Word.
Since we were moving in the direction of fillable PDF forms enabled so they could use Reader, I was hoping to be able to move from the Word form to PDF. Maybe I need to go back to the drawing board on the Access/Word side, or possibly html forms. Sure don't know the right direction to go on this, thanks.

theDBguy
post Aug 9 2011, 11:59 AM
Post#6

Hi Cathy,
heck out the links that Joe posted in this other thread.
Hope that helps...

theDBguy
post May 25 2012, 12:07 PM
Post#7

Hi Cathy,
Sorry to get back to this old thread but just wondering if you've ever found a solution for your PDF problem.
Cheers,
DBG

SparrowCathy
post Jan 16 2013, 05:12 PM
Post#8

I have not been monitoring my posts like I need to, and missed your most recent question, even though it is from awhile back, sorry. After finding your PDF fillable sample per another recent discussion, am learning more about it, and have found if the form was created in LiveCycle, I need to make sure it's enabled for reader extensions, otherwise the person will not be able to save the data. They also get a security warning when the PDF opens up. I am going to be getting into this a little deeper in the near future, and will also be checking out the link you posted, am trying to find a way for a PDF to travel with Excel form and read some of the data in excel. PDF is better at capturing signatures, Excel better at giving a user friendly format for entering lists, for example. Tried the opposite, to route an excel file with a LiveCycle/reader extended PDF, but that only worked with Adobe Pro, otherwise, couldn't save the changes in the excel. Anyway, just wanted to apologize for not responding, thank you!

theDBguy
post Jan 16 2013, 05:15 PM
Post#9

Hi Cathy,
Thanks for the update!
C

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th November 2017 - 01:55 AM