UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You Cannot Add Or Change A Record Because A Related Record Is Required In Table <name>. (error 3201)    

khurram527
post Feb 9 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Hi,
I am realy new and know a very little about MS Access, by self study from access 2007 offline help and question to question learning online I tried to make my very first database for my personel ease at my work place... I created linked forms these are three forms in number while I add now recorde using these forms very first form works smoothly but when I go to next linked form and that second form also have a subform after entering information when I go to subform by tab key or by mouse click it display an error message that "You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table <name>. (Error 3201)" can someone help me for this problem in a simple way? following is the link of my database so you can check for more detailed and clear picture.
http://www.4shared.com/file/C-1WmUPB/WSI-DB-2.html
Go to the top of the page

+
Alan_G
post Feb 9 2011, 08:27 AM
Post #2

Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi
Welcome to UtterAccess welcome2UA.gif
Just for your information, very few (if any) members will download a file from an external source for obvious reasons. You can attach a file to your post(s) at UtterAccess if you want to, as long as they're zipped and less than 2Mb and you'll have much more chance of someone taking a look for you <
For your question, it sounds like you have a one to many relationship between a couple of tables with Referential Integrity (which is generally a good thing) and you're trying to add a record to the child (many side) table without a parent (one side table) record. Enforcing Referential Integrity stops you from doing that with the error message you've got to prevent orphaned records - which again is a good thing.
You need to add a parent record before adding a child record, and the parnet records Primary Key needs to be stored in the child record as a Foreign Key.
Hope that makes sense for you

+
khurram527
post Feb 12 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Hi Alan... In simple really thanks for your "Well Come" and also for your great "Help" regarding my issue, maybe its very simple and easy for you but I was really stuck with this.... again thanks... and one more thing, can you refer me towards a best free & online learning source for MS Access 2007..
Take Care and have a nice time.
regards,
Khurram

+
Alan_G
post Feb 13 2011, 07:57 AM
Post #4

Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi Khurram
ou're very welcome, glad I could help out.
There's loads of resources online for learning, but UtterAccess also has it's own favourite's so I've included the links below for you which should start you off in the right direction - plus of course, you've also found the best site on the internet for anything Access so please feel free to ask about anything you're not sure of.
I wish you every success with your future projects, and you know where to come if/when you need a helping hand <

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 02:50 PM