UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Continuous Form With Multiple Colors, Any Version    

Peter Hibbs
post Jun 8 2011, 10:30 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

The attached zip file contains an Access 2003 database which demonstrates one method to show multiple records on a Continuous type form with a different color for each record. It uses the OLE Object type control bound to a bitmap color image on the form as shown in the screen shot below.
The included .PDF document fully explains the procedure and includes some VBA code to show how images can be changed in code.
Please note, I do not claim any credit for the original idea of using the OLE Object as this has been mentioned by others in the UA forum before, I have just put it all into a usable demo database.
Also, thank you to The DBguy for some initial testing on a network system.
Peter Hibbs.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Continuous_Form_Colors_Demo.zip ( 154.14K )Number of downloads: 1249
Attached File  Continuous_Color_Demo.jpg ( 171.74K )Number of downloads: 890

Go to the top of the page

tina t
post Jun 11 2011, 08:13 PM
Post#2

Peter, so very nice, and so simple once you know how to do it - and it works like a charm in A97 too! thanks loads, i've wished many times to be able to color a continuous form in A97, but thought it impossible with no conditional formatting option available. tina :)

Peter Hibbs
post Jun 12 2011, 05:13 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Thanks Tina, it is useful to know that this technique works on A97 as well. Will make a note in case anyone else asks.
SteveH, actually I did trawl through the Code Archive first to see if anyone else had already published this technique but did not find any relevant posts.
HAs you say, a 1x1 pixel bitmap would reduce the memory overhead considerably and the main reason I used a larger image in the demo was to make it easier for editing in Paint. I suppose the question is - would a smaller bit map image work satisfactorily over a network if the table holding the BLOBs was in the BE. Having the 'images' table in the FE does have disadvantages as I have pointed out in the document so it would be better to have that table in the BE, if possible. Unfortunately I don't have a network that I can test it out on so if anyone has the time (or the inclination) to try this out, it would be useful to know. Obviously the system would work OK with the images stored in the BE, the only problem is whether the form would take too long to load, even with a 1x1 bitmap image. Also, the form response time would then depend on the number of records being displayed on the Continuous form since there would be an image for each record (in the demo there are only 77 records which is pretty small as databases go).
Regarding the use of the Color Picker option to choose a color, I am not sure if this is possible with OLE Objects but if a get some time, I will have a play.
Peter Hibbs.

Alan_G
post Jun 12 2011, 07:27 AM
Post#4

Remembered as Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi Peter
Just tried it on a wired network (BE remote, FE local) and there's no noticable difference for me in load times with both FE and BE local - nice demo BTW <

niesz
post Jun 12 2011, 08:11 AM
Post#5

Utter A-fishin'-ado

It's not in the Code Archive, but I've posted a few examples using another technique through the years...
ere's one: http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Records-form-t1094694.html

Peter Hibbs
post Jun 12 2011, 08:15 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Alan,
OK, thanks. That is useful to know.
Peter.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th January 2020 - 06:11 AM