(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Decompile, Compact and Repair    

Vongalin
post May 15 2009, 06:59 AM
Post #1

UtterAccess Member

Everyone has their own methods of doing a decompile, compact and repair - I'm no different. This is the CMD file that I use after a day of developing. I have tried various methods, but this is the one that works the best for me. I read that the compact/repair switch is combined into one and that one of them is carried over to 2007 for compatibility, but I get better results when I separate them.

First, add a macro to your database named 'devClose' and add 'Quit' to it.
Next add this code to a CMD or a BAT file (edit paths and names as needed):
CODE
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.exe" /Decompile "C:\Projects\Project\Project_1_1_0.accdb" /x devClose
ping -n 5 localhost >nul

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.exe" /Repair "C:\Projects\Project\Project_1_1_0.accdb"
ping -n 5 localhost >nul

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.exe" /Compact "C:\Projects\Project\Project_1_1_0.accdb"
ping -n 5 localhost >nul

First it will open, decompile and close your database. Wait 5 seconds, repeat w/a repair, close and wait 5 seconds. Finally it will compact it, close and wait another 5 seconds.

Works great for me, hope it does for you. As always, please make sure that you have a backup before you try this or anything else posted that you find.
Go to the top of the page

+
Doug Steele
post May 15 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #2

UtterAccess VIP

You might want to read what MichKa has at The real deal on the /Decompile switch , specifically part at the end (RISKS TO DECOMPILE: WHY YOU SHOULD NOT USE IT CONSTANTLY).

And I think it might be better to rename the database and compact it to a different database, rather than compacting "in place": at least that way, if the compact fails, you still have the original database. Danny Lesandrini has an interesting approach at Compact an Access Database with VBS Script

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/DJSteele/AccessIndex.html
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, published by Wiley, Access 2013 Bible, published by Wiley.

+
mishej
post May 15 2009, 07:20 AM
Post #3

Retired Moderator

I agree - the process or steps are probably very individualistic...

This is my routine w/2007. Like most folks I have a method that I always follow. I can't say it is the *way*; only
that it (appears) to work for me.

- Close all modules / forms / reports
- Compile code
- Save file
- Compact / Repair and Close

Run /decompile and immediately close (Alt-F4).

Open file holding <Shift>. Compact / Repair.

Alt-F11 to open VBA Editor. Debug, Compile from menu and close any open modules. File/Save.

Run Compact / Repair. Optionally create .MDE/.ACCDE version.

-------------------

FWIW... my latest project is A2007 and I've experienced more corruption issues than ever before. If I can identify a form or report as the problem then the undocumented Application.SaveAsText / .LoadFromText() procs work great. The /decompile switch is also valuable and has solved issues.

I repeat as needed. On heavy development days every 30 minutes.

--------------------
John Mishefske, Microsoft MVP 2007 - 2011
Tigeronomy Software
web: http://www.tigeronomy.com
email: tech ~at~ tigeronomy.com

+
pacala_ba
post May 16 2009, 06:35 AM
Post #4

UtterAccess Veteran

><

--------------------
15 years of Database programming (dBase,FoxPro,MS Access), Symbian C++, VBE6.DLL(6.04.9972,6.5.10.53)

+
strive4peace
post May 9 2010, 02:03 AM
Post #5

UtterAccess Leader

Hi pacala_ba (what is your name?)

brilliant! Your instructions are so easy to follow -- like the formatting too < thank you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

since you bring up SaveAsText and LoadFromText... and corruption has been discussed here ... something interesting I learned from John Viescas was that the NameSpace tag [ NameMap = Begin 0x0acc0e550000000010122cb9c383d211978d00aa00...20079000000 End] in the text file generated by SaveAsText is where AutoCorrupt puts its information. Everything can be deleted between Begin and End to attempt recovery of a corrupt form. Haven't had to try it yet myself <

+
Scott McDaniel
post May 9 2010, 04:56 AM
Post #6

UtterAccess VIP

That's a neat tip - I wish I had a corrupt form I could try it on! Thanks Crystal (and John).

--------------------

+
strive4peace
post May 9 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #7

UtterAccess Leader

you're welcome < ... and thank you, Scott <

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 01:26 PM