UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Filecopy Vs File System Object (fso)...copy\move\create File, Office 2003    

TheZjooj
post Feb 28 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #1

UtterAccess Guru

Hello all...LOVE the new setup! ...change is difficult sometimes but the Forum and Wiki setup you have now is a very comfortable format. Looks great.
know my Topic Title may be close to a "religion and politics" type discussion but I am really at a cross-road that I don't want to back track to and this has always been the one place where despite differing opinions, everyone agrees to disagree and refrains from "flame wars" so here goes...
I have completed setting up allowing users to create an XML file from within Access that is used by an outside app. The help that everyone has given here has been invaluable in that process.
Now I am rolling along with getting the files that were created to be copied\moved to a server (UNC or Shared drive still up in the air) and need some opinions on the methods you all have used and which have been less prone to error or most successful.
This database is an Access 2003 front end with a disconnected ODBC MySQL backend system. Once the user is connected to the network it allows the users to "sync" the data they have created and get new data assignments. The data assignments are native access table data but the files they create while disconnected are the XML files stored only in the OS.
I need to copy\move those files and have discovered two different methods as listed in the Topic Title. FileCopy (native VBA) and FileSystemObject (FSO).
The OS's on these PC's range from Windows 2000 to Windows 7.
I would truly appreciate any opinion or links on which method may be best to use...and if you want to throw in the Pros and cons that would be awesome as well.
Hope I explained it well above and again love the digs here at UA.
Thanks so much in advance.
Regards,
Zjooj
Go to the top of the page

+
vtd
post Feb 28 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #2

Retired Moderator

Personally, I use the native FileCopy for simplicity whenever I can.
The Scripting / FSO is a bit more feature-rich so I use FSO when I need to use features that are not available with the inbuilt Sub/Functions.

+
TheZjooj
post Mar 3 2010, 08:17 AM
Post #3

UtterAccess Guru

Thanks Van.
I am curious though, did you (or anyone reading this for that matter) find trouble distributing the app using FSO anymore difficult than when you used straight FileCopy?
The more I read about the subject, the more I am concerned that there may be issues with using the FSO method vs FileCopy.
Regards,
Zjooj

+
cheekybuddha
post Mar 3 2010, 08:41 AM
Post #4

UtterAccess VIP

Hi,
You can late-bind the FSO object and it should distribute without problem.
hth,
d

+
vtd
post Mar 3 2010, 08:43 AM
Post #5

Retired Moderator

If you use FSO, then the database needs an extra Reference. If you create a proper deployment package (using P & D Wizard), then you can make sure the Library is included in the deployment package.
I use a more controlled environment (Terminal Service) for my main database so it has never been a problem.

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 07:12 AM