Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Gauntlet has been thrown - Drop Down Menus Question    

ranger2213
post Oct 28 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #1

UtterAccess Enthusiast

Ok forum gurus.
How do you create a drop down menu (well, actually two) in a form? I would like to have a drop down menu that allows the user to select from three options
Name of Drop Down Menu is "Type of Tag"
1) Green
2) Yellow
3) Red
Then, I would like the user to be able to select from a drop down menu that allows the user to select from 5 options
Name of Drop Down Menu is "Disposition"
1) Rework
2) Extrude Last
3) Extrude Very Last
4) Scrap
5) Awaiting Lab Results
The menus should be independent of each other - meaning that the selection from the first menu has no bearing on the 2nd menu. The form's information will be used to populate the following table named "Tagged"
Tagged
Sequence_Number (Primary Key)
Stock
Mix_Date
Mix_shift
Tag (Green, Yellow, or Red)
Disposition
I will need to know the SQL for the drop downs in the event of a "click" if I am to design the form myself with unbound text boxes.
Also, I have looked up several sites to find out how to create a drop down menu to no avail. Right now the first drop down menu I have created shows the selections but I can't select them. It's better than what I was getting which was a drop down menu with the selections listed horizontally and it only selecting the first one.
I guess what I am saying is that please talk slowly and simply when answering for I am a mere novice.
Chris
Go to the top of the page

+
dannyseager
post Oct 28 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #2

UtterAccess VIP

So the option selected in the first drop down should NOT filter the records displayed in the 2nd drop down.... you just want to drop down combo boxes on a form?

+
jwhite
post Oct 28 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #3

UtterAccess VIP

I would approach this with a slight twist....
blTagTypes
------------------------------------
TagTypeID, AutoNumber, PK
TagType, Text
tblTagDispositions
------------------------------------
TagDispositionID, AutoNumber, PK
TagDisposition, Text
That way you can add more tag types/dispositions as you may need them.
You would make a Combo Box for each with the Control Source Bound to the FK in the [Tagged] table. Create two fields in [tbl]Tagged: TagTypeID & TagDispositionID as Number.
In your BOUND form:
1. cboTagTypes, Control Source = TagTypeID, RowSource = "SELECT TagTypeID, TagType FROM tblTagTypes ORDER BY TagType;", Column Widths = 0;1
1. cboTagDispositions, Control Source = TagDispositionID, RowSource = "SELECT TagDispositionID, TagDispositions FROM tblTagDispositions ORDER BY TagDisposition;", Column Widths = 0;1
That should do it. Note - untested. If issues, holler back! sad.gif

+
ranger2213
post Oct 29 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #4

UtterAccess Enthusiast

Thank you for your response! I am all set!

+
jwhite
post Oct 30 2008, 06:22 AM
Post #5

UtterAccess VIP

You're Welcome! thumbup.gif Good luck with your project!

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 12:37 AM