UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Import dbf File    

jmcraven
post Jul 20 2005, 11:36 PM
Post#1

Access 97 or 2000. I don't care which. I get the same in both. When I import a dbase file (*.dbf), it prompts me for an index file (*.ndx). I do not have such an animal. So how do I link to or import this data in Access? Excel pulls the data up no problem. But there is too much data in too many files for Excel to be of much use. Please advise.
Go to the top of the page

freakazeud
post Jul 20 2005, 11:47 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Hi,
this is from microsoft Help:<
HTH
Good luck

jmcraven
post Jul 20 2005, 11:54 PM
Post#3

I'm getting the same thing no matter if I import or link. Perhaps this is not a dBase file? Do you know of any other programs that use the .dbf extension?

freakazeud
post Jul 20 2005, 11:57 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Hi,
check this:
many other programs
HTH
Good luck

jmcraven
post Jul 21 2005, 12:51 AM
Post#5

OK, I got clarification from Allen-Bradley (makers of the software that generates this file), and they create files that are formatted in "DB4 wide format". Does that make any difference?

freakazeud
post Jul 21 2005, 12:55 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

No, it shouldn't!
Try to follow these steps to use a macro and see if it will give you similar issues:
import with macro
HTH
Good luck

jmcraven
post Jul 21 2005, 01:15 AM
Post#7

Somehow, the macro worked. As long as that's the case, I don't care if I can't do it manually! Hooray! Thanks a bunch, FZ. You're my hero!

freakazeud
post Jul 21 2005, 01:17 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

You're welcome frown.gif
Glad I could assist.
Good luck on future projects!

jmcraven
post Jul 21 2005, 06:54 AM
Post#9

After quite a bit of messing around with the files, I have come to the realization that I can connect to the data just fine. The problem is with the file names. Apparently, Access 97 and 2000 have problems with lengthy file names. For example, one of the file names is "2005 05 19 0000 (Tagname).DBF". I don't know what I'm going to do about that. I'm thinking I might be able to get away with it's MS DOS (8.3) name. But that's another post...
The reason the macro worked was that I renamed the files to single letters (the above file was shortened to "A.DBF" to make viewing the entire macro easier. Oh well. Live and learn.

freakazeud
post Jul 21 2005, 10:41 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Ahhh, yeas!
The import needs to be 8 characters or less in file name size. I didn't think of that as you said it was asking for index files which you didn't have. I would think it would have given you a different error message for the file length case, guess not. You could create a batch file which renames them all for you if you want, or if you have win XP you can just go to windows explorer, click the select all, then right click on the first file and rename, then rename it and all files will be automatically renamed for you.
Either way, glad you got it sorted out.
Good luck on future projects.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2017 - 05:02 AM