Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Issues Database Modification    

rsilberfarb
post Sep 17 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #1

UtterAccess Member

Hello,
like Microsoft's sample "Issues Database," and I am trying to modify it to meet my needs. I am having trouble getting it all to work out.
Basically I was changing their "Issues" table to reflect my actual data, and then changing the module asscoiated to run the queries, but I am not doing something right.
My goal would be to have a form like the search issues form that will work with my data.
I have attached my database and the microsoft sample with a few changes.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Ross
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Mine and Microsoft.zip ( 475.33K ) Number of downloads: 12

Go to the top of the page

+
HiTechCoach
post Sep 17 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #2

UtterAccess VIP

Ross,
looked at the database "FMi.mdb" and the table "DispatchCurrent" has lots of normalization issues like repeating fields and other issues.. This may be why you are having trouble figuring out how to adapt the get the MS template to your data.
Since most experienced posters here at UA will tell you that while you can "cover up" most table structure problems by throwing enough code at them, it is rarely worth the effort, and with time the problems with the application just get progressively harder to fix via code (and said code usually gets pretty messy, as well).
It is almost always much better to correct table structure problems first.
So, since UA does not promote poor table design, I am reluctant to try providing an answer without first suggesting that you check your table structure for normalization.
Some good reference posts (in no particular order) are:
Go to the top of the page

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 08:32 PM