UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> KB 2753842 Security Update, Any Version    

CyberCow
post Dec 13 2012, 11:46 PM
Post#1

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

It's always a good practice to install the various 'high priority' Windows Updates. Sometimes these updates create problems. On December 11, 2012, Microsoft released KB2753842 (described as a security update for the Windows OpenType Compact Font Format)http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2753842 - but unfortunately it makes some fonts stop working. If you've not yet updated "KB2753842", I suggest holding off till Microsoft corrects the patch. If you've already installed it, or simply want to check, you go to:
Control Panel / Uninstall a Program / View Installed Updates (the link on the left side) and scroll to the Microsoft Windows section and look for Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2753842) (In XP - tick the "Show updates" option at the top of the Add or Remove Programs dialog.)
You can decide to uninstall it or not. If you choose to uninstall it, right-click the item and select Uninstall and then answer "Yes" to the confirmation. You may have to restart your computer.
If you choose not to uninstall it, just close out of the windows and the control panel. You now know it's there.
There is also this Microsoft Community post with more examples of what folks are experiencing and how they're fixing it.
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Dec 14 2012, 08:13 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Wow, MS is on a role lately of breaking things! Common controls, now this. And then wonder why so many people do not blindly use the Automatic Update.
CyberCow - Thank you for passing along this very useful information!

CyberCow
post Dec 14 2012, 10:10 AM
Post#3

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

Daniel -
too have often wondered why such a large outfit would make so many and such large errors; but I gotta remember that if I scaled Microsoft down to one person, say me for instance, and compared the fail rate to deliverables rate, they'd still be way ahead of me in regards to success/failure ratio. They're just people too and are prone to errors. Its just that when MS makes a boo-boo, the result is on a much larger scale. When I make an error, only my client(s) and/or boss sees it.
It's a relatively small bug, by comparison, that seems to only effect Type 1 fonts and certain OTF fonts. (they're still sorting it out)
Ochecked out my systems and VMs and found it on all of them, so I just manually removed the specific patch. I tried to recreate the problem on a couple of machines before uninstalling the KB2753842 patch, but could not. (I don't use any Type 1 fonts and don't seem to have the specific OTF fonts that are effected - not did I try playing with font sizing in my tests, which is where some folks claim the failure lays.) And I haven't investigated Windows 8 with Office 2013 yet either. More on that later.
I am seriously beginning to think this whole areana of PC's, software, bugs and viruses is just one big game of 'Whack-a-Mole&

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    27th June 2017 - 12:28 PM