UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linked Table (Locked), Office 2007    

JDP12345
post Aug 19 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #1

UtterAccess Addict

Hi all>
I have a Main database that has 6 buttons each accessing a different Access database.
One of the Access applications (sub application) that are contained in the 6 buttons, connects to a table on the main database via a "linked table".
When I open that linked table from the the (sub application), I get the following message, "The Database has been placed in a state by user that prevents it from being locked or opened"
The main database has excluse access to tablea and all locks are opened.
Is there anyway to open linked table with both database being opened at the same time?
Please let me know if you need further clarification.
Thanks again!
JDP12345
Go to the top of the page

+
GinaWhipp
post Aug 19 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #2

UtterAccess VIP

JDP12345,
Not sure I understand... You open the first database in Exclusive Mode and then when you try to open the linked table you get that message? Is that what you are explaining?

+
JDP12345
post Aug 19 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #3

UtterAccess Addict

that is correct.
When I open my sub access application that has a linked table from the main database that is also opened I get that message...

+
BananaRepublic
post Aug 19 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #4

Admin under the bridge

Just to be sure, the main database is split and every user has their own copy of the main database, yes? The backend are located in a folder where all users has full permission (write, read, delete) to the folder, yes?
EDIT: Doh, too slow. Seems to me that if you open database in exclusive mode, you are acquiring exlcusive lock on all linked tables as well so by definition you can't do that. You'd open the database in shared mode.

+
Peter46
post Aug 19 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #5

UtterAccess VIP

Then the message seems to be correct.
If the main databse is opened exclusively you can't link back to it from another application. The 'exclusive' does not mean 'exclusive to you for any purpose you wish'; it means only one user can access the file and the second app is counted as a second user. When an Access app is opened exclusively, no lock file is created but it is that file which allows multiple users to access the same Access file.
You will have to open the main database shared.

+
JDP12345
post Aug 19 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #6

UtterAccess Addict

My apologies. I have figured out what I did. Please close this item out.
had the database in shared mode. When I placed it in Exclusive mode I was able to open the linked table. Not sure if this was the way it's suppose to work, but I'm ok for now.
Sorry again...

+
GinaWhipp
post Aug 19 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #7

UtterAccess VIP

Actually... Exclusive Mode should prevent access and Shared Mode allow access... are you saying that is the opposite for you? (Glad you got that figured out!)

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 05:09 PM