UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Me.Refresh vs Me.Requery, Office 2002    

Enzyme80
post Apr 21 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #1

UtterAccess Addict

I am dealing with some legacy code (possibly dated back to Access 2.0). It is now in Access 2002.
open a form, edit just one field on the form (the cursor is still in that field), then i close the form. This triggers different events and will save the record (all done with code). Here is my problem, if i only edit one field and do not tab to another field the only way I can get my record to update properly is to use a me.refresh or a me.requery before I do the update. Until yesterday we used me.refresh and this seemed to work and never really thought about it until I had a customer with 60,000 + records in the table and the me.refresh was taking about 8-10 seconds. I switched this to me.requery (for no other reason than to try it) and it did exactly what I need and did it quickly.
Now, from what I have read the Me.requery losses the current record and goes to the first one. Now, i have everything index so this is not a huge problem as i can just bookmark and go back as needed but my thought is that maybe this code is just wrong.
Should I have to do a me.refresh or a me.requery to know if the last field I am on has text entered or changed? My forms are not bound, everything is done through code and it works fine as long as i do one of those two functions. The other thing i can do is move the cursor to another field and then running the code without the me.refresh or me.requery will work.
Oreally hope that this makes sense to someone, I searched the forum and have been using google all week with no luck. I have found the "differences" between the two functions but I am not using them to update a record or to actually requery the data, I just want the textbox on my screen to know that it has been updated.
Thanks
Enzyme
Go to the top of the page

+
ace
post Apr 21 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #2

UtterAccess VIP

Since your form is not bound to a recordsource Refresh and Requery have nothing to refresh or requery.
It seems strange that using either would affect how quickly a record is saved using code.
lso, bound or unbound, the value of a textbox is updated when focus leaves the control. So even
just clicking the built in close button should update the textbox.
How are you closing the form? Using a label for a button is the only way that comes to mind that would
cause the textbox control to not update. Labels do not receive focus.

+
Enzyme80
post Apr 21 2010, 10:33 AM
Post #3

UtterAccess Addict

It is actually an image but it does not receive focus as well.
Without using refresh or requery is there a way to "refresh" the screen to update the textbox, or would i have to set focus to another control first and then run the rest of the code?

+
ace
post Apr 21 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #4

UtterAccess VIP

You can set focus to some control in the click event of the image control.
generally use a textbox named txtSetFocus with a height and width of 0 so it is not visible
yet still receives focus.

+
Enzyme80
post Apr 21 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #5

UtterAccess Addict

I think that might be the best way to deal with it.
Is there any reason you can think of that would make me.refresh slower than me.requery? i am not talking like by a second, this is like 8-10 seconds for one and less than 1 second for the other.

+
ace
post Apr 21 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #6

UtterAccess VIP

I can't think of any reason to use either on an unbound form.

+
Enzyme80
post Apr 21 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #7

UtterAccess Addict

Thanks for the help!

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 12:09 AM

Tag cloud: