UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Print Preview Crashes Forms...    

Mystrunner
post Apr 30 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #1

UtterAccess Addict

Hello again!
I've been working on a small access utility for a project, and I'm working on getting it as stable as possible. It's a competitive thing, and my competitors will be able to take a crack at crashing the prototype, so naturally I'm working overtime to batten down the hatches.
I've already locked everything down with the startup options, and so far so good. The only problem I've been able to find is that the "Print Preview" function is still enabled, and when it's used via the File menu, the whole shebang crashes. My question is, is there any way to either disable the Print Preview, or otherwise prevent the crash? Thanks a ton!
~ Matt
Go to the top of the page

+
niesz
post Apr 30 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #2

Utter A-fishin'-ado

To me, hiding the print preview isn't such a great solution because it doesn't fix the underlying issue. What happens when you now need to be able to print/preview reports?
ccess uses the printer drivers to render reports.
Does this system have a default printer installed? If not, install one (even if there is no printer) and see if the problem persists.
If you do have on installed, try re-installing the printer driver.

+
Mystrunner
post Apr 30 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #3

UtterAccess Addict

The printer drivers are installed, and they work fine on any other program, Word, etc.
The application itself was designed to have no paper aspects at all, so there are actually no reports or anything else to print. All it has are a form and a pre-built query that runs underneath everything else...
I'm thinking that's why it crashes, but I could be wrong.

+
niesz
post Apr 30 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #4

Utter A-fishin'-ado

>>I'm thinking that's why it crashes<<
If it is crashing because of the query, then not displaying a report will still not help you out.
What error message (if any) are you receiving? Can you trap the error in code? Under what exact circumstances does it crash? When no data is sent to the report? When certain data is sent? etc...

+
Mystrunner
post Apr 30 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #5

UtterAccess Addict

There's really no error message. It just closes the open form and stops responding, and I'm forced to kill it with the task manager...

+
niesz
post Apr 30 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #6

Utter A-fishin'-ado

Is this in an MDB or MDE? Does hitting CTRL-BREAK give you control back? Is all of the service-pack/Jet updates applied for your version of Access?

+
Mystrunner
post Apr 30 2007, 10:48 AM
Post #7

UtterAccess Addict

Lesse... it's an MDB, that's been split to have a frontend and a backend. CTRL-BREAK doesn't seem to do anything. The service updates *should* be applied, but I can't guarantee that because it's a university lab and we don't have any real control over the setup of the programs on the computers here.
I'm going to try letting it run for a while, not responding, and see if anything happens eventually...

+
niesz
post Apr 30 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #8

Utter A-fishin'-ado

Just for the fun of it, I'd still try changing the printer driver. You can even set it temporarily to a very standard printer (like a HP LaserJet 4) and see if the problem still shows itself.

+
Mystrunner
post Apr 30 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #9

UtterAccess Addict

Actually, after about ten minutes the print preview *will* pop up with a preview of the form itself. I'm afraid I don't have the option of changing the drivers, as the computers this app. will be running on are highly... regulated. Still, if there's any way of disabling the print preview, that would probably be my best option at this point. The application is supposed to be incredibly simple, so I'm attempting to prune out unneeded functionality.

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 03:58 AM