(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RT Status Bar - "Powered by MS Access"    

ztatzau
post Feb 19 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #1

UtterAccess Addict

Is there any way to remove the "Powered by MS Access" from the Status Bar of my RT Application?

I've found I can remove the entire Status Bar but would like to retain the Status Bar so as to display my Status Bar (Hints) Text as focus changes from one control to another.

Does the baby really have to go out with the bath water in this case? ZT
Go to the top of the page

+
HiTechCoach
post Feb 19 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #2

UtterAccess VIP

In my opinion, having the "Powered by MS Access" is the least we can do for a free product hat used to cost a lot.

NOTE: In the past we paid a lot of money ((100 of $) for the run time license that did not have "Powered by MS Access".

--------------------
Boyd Trimmell aka Hi Tech Coach ( HiTechCoach.com free Access stuff)
Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
Inventory Control, Accounting, BPM, and CRM Software Developer
"If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

+
ztatzau
post Feb 20 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #3

UtterAccess Addict

That's a nice thought Boyd and I am not unappreciative of the fact that MS decided to release the 2007 RT at no charge. My appreciation, however, I feel has already been shown by the purchase of many (1000's) of dollars worth of MS products. In my humble opinion, MS should do it's own advertising without relying on me to do so.

Do you (or anyone else) know if this "advertisement" can be removed without eliminating the status bar? ZT

+
HiTechCoach
post Feb 20 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #4

UtterAccess VIP

AFAIK, No.

Note: I am actually proud to display it. I find that it has been a good thing. I have not had anyone see it as an "advertisement".

--------------------
Boyd Trimmell aka Hi Tech Coach ( HiTechCoach.com free Access stuff)
Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
Inventory Control, Accounting, BPM, and CRM Software Developer
"If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

+
ztatzau
post Mar 4 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #5

UtterAccess Addict

While I've been working on a few other of my "pre-new release" issues, I've been thinking about your comments on the status bar. Recognizing my own love/hate relationship with MS and perhaps a resulting bias, I thought it only fair to give the matter some more thought.

I did restore the status bar on one of my recent test runs, wondering if I might yet come around to your "point of view", or at least come to see the "Powered by... 'tag' " in a different light. That's until I happened to roll my mouse over the tag and realized it was actually a link to the MS Office 2007 website.

Call it what you want, but I think I'll pass on displaying the "tagged" status bar. ZT

+
SteveBailey
post Mar 8 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #6

UtterAccess Member

For yours and future information, I believe it's actually part of the license agreement to leave it there as well as leaving the button in the top left there. It's part of the Office branding and so, even if you could remove it, you shouldn't.

+
AlbertKallal
post Mar 8 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #7

UtterAccess VIP

I don't believe there is a way to do this.

However, I just usually hide the status bar anyway. It gives more room, and in most cases I don't need it.

So, perhaps you just hide the status bar. This is a case if you want your own custom UI, you can hide all that is access

I suppose you could create your own bar if you really wanted some info down there, but I given this some thought, and at the end of the day I decided that I did not really need to display the status bar.

In a strange way, these days, I don’t think having that message is a down side, but actually bodes well for the product in general.

So, you can hide the Access runtime message in that bar, but have to give up the status bar if that is your goal. And, you can hide the office (pizzia) button + ribbon with:
DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Ribbon", acToolbarNo

So, you can hide all, but I don't think you can if you display the status bar...

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

+
SOS_UA
post Mar 9 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #8

UtterAccess Veteran

According to the licensing agreement of the runtime you agree to leave it there. So, if you don't agree to that, you are not legally entitled to use the runtime.

+
AlbertKallal
post Mar 9 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #9

UtterAccess VIP

You can choose to hide the status bar in the standard access setup options, and if you do so, then you not see that message or status bar at all, and you not see it in the runtime.

I am not disagreeing with you, but I am just pointing out that a simple check box option hides that status bar. I don’t believe we are restricted in any way from hiding the status bar, and that option works just fine in the runtime.

I fact, I would assume that what is really being stated is that you not supposed to remove it from the status bar (which would require some type of hacking into the code base). However, there nothing at all stating that you have to display that status bar.

So, I 100% agree you MUST leave that message on the status bar. However, there is nothing at all here stating that you have to display that status bar. This is two VERY different issues.

It would be quite surprising that the licensing agreement says we can’t un-check the show display bar in the options menu as that option works just fine in the runtime. If the intent was to not allow one to hide the status bar at runtime, then one can be quite will assume that option would be removed or ignored, or disabled. It is not.

So, no question one is not to supposed to tamper with built in branding of objects like the office (pizza) button. And, 100% I agree that one is not supposed to remove the “powered by access” from the status bar.

However, the commands to hide the ribbon, commands to hide the office button, and the option to hide the status bar all work just fine and in a normal fashion in the runtime.

So, no tampering, and no removing from the status but. However, the simple act of un-checked the display status bar works just fine in the runtime, and to my knowledge is permitted.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

+
ztatzau
post Mar 14 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #10

UtterAccess Addict

Very interesting discussion! Thanks to all who replied!

I'm no lawyer but I have to go with Albert on this one. I doubt that MS would provide built in options that are not intended to be used or allowed by the EULA . ZT

+
lanik
post Apr 27 2011, 07:39 AM
Post #11

From EULA:
• keep the status bar containing the statement "Powered by Microsoft Access" displayed in your user interface to be viewed by users at all times;

So, exactly, you must display the status bar with the message.

My personal concern is that Internet browser opens when clicking this message. When running in Terminal Services environment, this opens security hole, because browser allows access to the server's file system.
So I'd rather pay $100 or even more for not having this message, or at least having it not clickable. Unfortunately, MS does not give this option for 2007 and 2010 versions.

The only workaround I see, is creating your own status bar with non-clickable message. But then you must rewrite all your procedures that use embedded MS Access status bar (if you have any. I do)..

--------------------

+
BananaRepublic
post Apr 27 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #12

admin * me = NULL;

Lanik, wouldn't it been a good practice to not allow usage of web browser or at least block it from accessing it the filesystem (e.g. no cookies/no caches/no scripts/etc) on the terminal server?

--------------------
Using Access BE over WAN is like running to your city library, ripping out pages from a book, running back home and scribble notes on it then run back and glue the pages back into the book in the library, all during a rush hour full of drunk drivers in middle of a horrible thunderstorm, and hoping nobody else has ripped out the pages you wanted.

+
AlbertKallal
post Apr 27 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #13

UtterAccess VIP

Interesting, I had not seen that in the EULA in the past.

As noted it is rather surprising that a simple check box option is available to hide the status bar. So we have a case where someone emails you a database with the status bar option un checked and when you run it, you will not see the status bar. Not only will the status bar remain hidden, but you do not have the option to display it!

I guess I am hard pressed to think that a standard option provided in Access that works just fine with the runtime is not to be used and would violate the EULA. I could also guess that if you had users download the runtime, then THEIR applications must display the status bar, but not other applications intended for full version? This type of scenario really does throw some bathwater on this issue. In this regards, I do think there is some wiggle room.

Now of course there always the case of intention and what in fact one can do. Reading what you posted quite much suggests the intention and idea here is that they want the status bar displayed. I was not aware of that exact wording in the EULA.

As noted, I do think there is some gray here due to this being a simple and available option, but in all fairness, at the end of the day being able to hide that status bar it with a simple check box option is a debate of semantics.

In other words, the CLEAR intent and desire here is to have that status bar displayed and I thus have to agree with the posted position that we are to display that bar. My previous post is based on not having seen that exact wording you posted.

IMHO the wording in that EULA does need to be changed to read that one cannot remove the "powered by Access" in the status bar. However, display of that status bar is still a simple and easy choice we have and should have.

Regardless of this easy option, reading what just been posted here, it quite much means we are supposed to turn on the status bar.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 09:33 PM