UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TreeView question    

bbrotherton
post Jun 12 2007, 10:18 AM
Post#1

Is there any way to type a value in a textbox and then select that value in the tree view? Kind of like a search to find a record in the tree and have it expand and stuff. I don't know anything about Tree Views, so the simpler, the better.
Thanks a bunch
Go to the top of the page

datAdrenaline
post Jun 12 2007, 10:50 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

Word of warning ... TreeViews can be a daunting task to conquer!! ... Everything needs to be handled in code. The code can get big ... with that in mind, I have attached a sample as opposed to pasting the code in the post.

I hope you find the sample helpful!

PS> This is an "update" to the LAST one I posted in this thread ...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  TreeViewSample.zip ( 90.14K )Number of downloads: 2362

Dom DXecutioner
post Jun 12 2007, 10:57 AM
Post#3

Greetings,

The short-n-short answer, yes, it's doable; however, you must take into cosideration the fact that you may have a value more than once loaded onto the treeview. You must come up with a method to handle this situation.

Furthermore, you must also think of the way on how you wish to do the search, full text or partial. The code below will demostrate how to accomplish the basics, I use late binding for compatibility purposes...

CODE
Private Sub SearchTreeview(strSearchString As String)
#91;color="green"]'// object variables[/color]
Dim tv As Object
Dim nod As Object
    [color="green"]'// load object pointers[/color]
    Set tv = Me.xTree.Object

For Each nod In tv.Nodes
        If nod.Text = strSearchString Then
            [color="green"]'// string found, selected and change the color to red[/color]
            With nod
                  .Selected = True
                  .ForeColor = vbRed
            Exit Sub
        Else
            [color="green"]'// string not found, notify user[/color]
            MsgBox "Your text was not found!"
        End If
    Next nod
    [color="green"]'// free resources[/color]
    Set tv = Nothing
    Set nod = Nothing
End Sub

I was beaten to the answer, but thought i'd share my 2 cents; besides, it was already typed... good luck.

Edited by: Xyon-X on Tue Jun 12 12:00:52 EDT 2007.

bbrotherton
post Jun 12 2007, 11:22 AM
Post#4

Thanks for both of the responses.
rent - I know that trees are huge, there is one that already exists in the database that is being rebuilt and everyone likes it.
X Actually, this is already taken care of. The data that is shown in the tree is unique.
I will try it out and let you know how it goes. Keep your fingers crossed.

TinaFields
post Mar 3 2009, 10:59 AM
Post#5

Brent,
I am very grateful for this example. At this very moment I am trying to get my brain around the complexities of the TreeView control. The concepts are just starting to make sense.
You state in your mod_TreeViewCommon module that the Recordset can be passed as DAO, ADO, or SQL string. Do you favor one over the others? If so, why?
Thanks,
Tina

Clippit
post Mar 6 2009, 06:54 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Hey Tina- welcome to UA! Your post probably got lost down here as a response to an old thread. You might want to start a new thread and Brent will probably see it and can comment specifically on his solution- he's pretty active here.
On the meantime if you're starting at the beginning with treeviews you might want to look here.

datAdrenaline
post Apr 17 2009, 01:43 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess Editor

Wow ... It was by happenstance that I found your question to me ...
I am glad you liked the TreeView sample. With respect to DAO, ADO, or a SQL Statement preference .... well I do not really have a preference as I use what I need, thus the development of the code to accept all three. If all three are valid options ... well why don't I just say this: If I have a DAO recordset that can populate the treeview, then I use it. The same goes for an ADO recordset. But I often will use an SQL Statement too just because it offers a lot of flexibility.

ruruzozo
post Nov 7 2011, 09:57 PM
Post#8

I'm new at VBA development and I was getting mad at my embedded TreeView control because of drag and drop functions declaration. Now I solved this issue <
Just wanna say thanks for your help datAdrenaline! Your example has been quite useful!

slushpuppie
post Dec 20 2011, 05:36 AM
Post#9

Hey Guys, been years since I been on the forum. I, like others had a hard time grasping the TreeView Control in access but always wanted to use it. I wanted to say thanks to Clippit for the link to 'My MS Access Blog'. The link goes to 'My TreeView Project' Posted by Stephen who I would also like to thankn. This tutorial is absolutely one of the best! I breezed through it, and I am now able to take what I learned to a new level. Thanks for taking the time and really explaining it!

somu123
post Nov 18 2012, 12:46 AM
Post#10

Hi
need to have search for list view & to generate the report based on check box I selected in Treeview & List box, kindly help me.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th May 2017 - 01:51 AM