(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> URGENT - Not enough space on temporary disk RunTime Error, Office 2007    

Ikass
post Apr 22 2010, 10:57 AM
Post #1

Hi All,

I am in a very difficult situation with my Ms Acess Database. Below is the scenario:

I have Access 2007 frontEnd VBA application connected to multiple MsAccess 2000 Mdb databases. My programs were working fine until yesteday when I got this RunTime error -> "Not enough space on temporary disk". I`m running a self-recursive query on aTable (tblCustomer) with 15000 rows. The query executes like a flash ( less than 1 sec ) if I go to Query Tab and in Design view place a WHERE clause like ID = 10. But, int the same db if I use the SQL view in Query Tab like "SELECT * FROM tblCustomer WHERE ID = 10;" I get the RunTime error of "Not Enough Disk space" or it executes very slowly and eats my computer`s memory (50-60% of 2GB RAM) . Also, I get the runtime error if I call the same query using my VBA program that makes ADO connection calls to the DB. I looked up many places and I`m really stuck. Anyone who has encountered this problem or have solutions kindly help. This issue can be a big blow to my work that I have done for many months. I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Go to the top of the page

+
HiTechCoach
post Apr 22 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #2

UtterAccess VIP

QUOTE (Ikass @ Apr 22 2010, 10:57 AM) *
Hi All,

I am in a very difficult situation with my Ms Acess Database. Below is the scenario:

I have Access 2007 frontEnd VBA application connected to multiple MsAccess 2000 Mdb databases. My programs were working fine until yesteday when I got this RunTime error -> "Not enough space on temporary disk". I`m running a self-recursive query on aTable (tblCustomer) with 15000 rows. The query executes like a flash ( less than 1 sec ) if I go to Query Tab and in Design view place a WHERE clause like ID = 10. But, int the same db if I use the SQL view in Query Tab like "SELECT * FROM tblCustomer WHERE ID = 10;" I get the RunTime error of "Not Enough Disk space" or it executes very slowly and eats my computer`s memory (50-60% of 2GB RAM) . Also, I get the runtime error if I call the same query using my VBA program that makes ADO connection calls to the DB. I looked up many places and I`m really stuck. Anyone who has encountered this problem or have solutions kindly help. This issue can be a big blow to my work that I have done for many months. I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Is the database bloating? How big is it?

Have you tried compacting?

Do you have 4 or more GIG free on the system drive that is not fragmented?

+
gemmathehusky
post Apr 23 2010, 02:18 AM
Post #3

UtterAccess VIP

is it possible there is something wrong with the query, and you are inadvertently getting a cartesian join with too many rows, so that the query REALLY is becoming very big?

especially as its recursive - maybe you are getting 15000 records crossed with 15000 ie 255million!

This post has been edited by gemmathehusky: Apr 23 2010, 02:19 AM

+
Ikass
post Apr 23 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #4

Thanks for your time and for responding. The database that I`m calling is about 250MB. The specific table is about 15000 Rows with about 10 fields. My local drive has 122 GB of free space and our LAN has more than 50 GB of space. I know my query is a recursive and call the same table 15 times in the same query (Its almost like building genealogy). I tried taking out about 8 of the 15 links and it worked. So, I think its got to do with some temporary storage issue where its not able to store the result. It seems like the query try to build a result set (which comes to around 700,000 records) and then applies the filter ( results vary between 1 to 2000 rows of record) . Any help or suggestion appreciated

+
gemmathehusky
post Apr 23 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #5

UtterAccess VIP

well thats the problem with recursion generally

it can be elegant to use, but it sometimes needs a load of stack space to manage all the iterations.

------------------
the alternative is to build up the answers in different ways. maybe a series of non-recursive queries. maybe using temporary tables or arrays. Often its tricky to think of the best way to do it, for a non-recursive solution

----------------
and clearly i failed the mental maths test, as i should have said 225m, not 255m before!

This post has been edited by gemmathehusky: Apr 23 2010, 05:59 PM

+
pacala_ba
post Apr 24 2010, 02:54 AM
Post #6

UtterAccess Veteran

Try Wiki.Error_Codes.Not enough space on temporary disk

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 09:58 PM