UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wizards not working    

jereese
post Mar 15 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #1

UtterAccess Addict

I got Office 2007 about 3 months ago and have it installed on my desktop (Vista) and laptop (XP Pro). When I first installed it I uninstalled all of Office 2003 except Access, then installed Office 2007. This worked fairly well (except for the normal 'please wait while installing' mess.)
However, on the laptop I had a problem with some ribbon customization software not working and was told it was because of Access 2003 (this did not cause a problem on the desktop, however.) But I decided to uninstall Access 2003 on the laptop as I really don't need it there.
To be safe (I thought) I uninstalled ALL Office programs, then reinstalled Office 2007 Pro, a full install. I did this partly because Office 2003 had been in the Microsoft Office folder, and Office 2007 had been in a different folder so by doing a complete uninstall I could put 2007 back in the normal Office folder.
Now I discover that NONE of the Access wizards are working. First noticed it when I tried to run the Linked Table wizard on an Access 2003 mdb file, but it wouldn't work on an accde file either. Form, report and Query wizards also do not work.
The error I get when trying to link tables is: "The Wizard you've requested is not installed or is in a bad state. Please install or reinstall the wizard. If you do not have permissions to do this on your computer see your system Administrator."
For the Report or Query wizard the message is: "This feature isn't installed or has been disabled."
Odid an Office Diagnostic and a Repair installation. Neither helped. I've been doing some searching on the Internet but have so far found very little, and nothing helpful.
I'm wondering if the registry settings from the original install in a different folder somehow got carried over and messed up this install?
Any suggestions as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

+
jereese
post Mar 17 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #2

UtterAccess Addict

After several days of detective work I found the problem. I was searching thru the registry for references to the original folder where Office 2007 had been installed ("Microsoft Office12" instead of "Microsoft Office"). Found several and finally came across one that pointed to the trusted location of the Access wizard databases. Changed that to the correct folder and problem solved.
If I had thought to check that from within Access Options I could have saved myself the trouble of searching the registry I suppose, but I had forgotten it was there. But it's amazing that a reinstall, several runs of the Diagnostics, and two Repair installs did not find this, especially since that original folder no longer exists.

+
jumper4000
post Sep 14 2009, 04:01 AM
Post #3

Can you please tell me exactly what you did to fix this issue? I have the same problem and don't know how to fix it.
Thanks
-A

+
jereese
post Sep 14 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #4

UtterAccess Addict

Boy, this goes back a ways -- hope I can remember! As mentioned in my second post, what I originally did was to search thru the registry for all keys that used the path to the OLD location of Office 2007 on my computer, and corrected them to the new (default) path. In the process I found the regisitry key that pointed to the location for the wizards still pointed to the old path, despite the fact that I had uninstalled and reinstalled to the default path.
However, the easier way to do this (for the Wizards) is thru the Trusted Locations option in Access Options (Access Options/Trust Center, click Trust Center Settings button, Trusted Locations.) Find the entry in the list for the Wizards (ACCWIZ). Select that entry and click Modify -- then use the browse button to be sure it points to the correct folder. Under Xp, the default location (unless you install to a custom folder) would be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ACCWIZ.
BTW, when you do that from within the Trusted Locations option in Access the folder appears to be empty, i.e. it doesn't list the files themselves in the window. If you want to you can use Explorer to browse to that folder to be sure the files are there. On my computer there are 5 different files with names beginning with ACW in that folder as well as Utility.mda.
Hope that helps.

+
jumper4000
post Sep 14 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the reply. My problem started after I installed Office 2010 (Technical Preview). I tried your suggestions, but that didn't fix my problem. However, I did come across another post, where someone suggested deleting this folder,
C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/VBA/VBA6 (apparently Access 2010 creates it). After deleting that folder, I launched Access 2007, and automatically, some repair process started, which thankfully, fixed this frustrating problem. Now, all my Wizards are working again sad.gif
It was real strange though, because without deleting that folder, not even a full uninstall/reinstall fixed my issue.
Thanks again for your reply
-A

+
jereese
post Sep 14 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #6

UtterAccess Addict

No problem. That was what was weird for me too -- a complete uninstall of Office 2007 and a complete reinstall (albeit into a different folder) did NOT change the registry setting for the location of the wizards! You'd sure think it would!
Glad you got it resolved.

+
omarnunez
post Sep 1 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #7

I'm running Access 2010 and was having the same issue. I followed jumper4000 instructions but I wanted to keep running Access 2010 instead of going back to 2007. So I not only deleted C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/VBA/VBA6, I also deleted C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/VBA/VBA7. After deleting VBA7 and running any Office Program a repair process started reinstalling some files and fixing the issue. In my case I had to reinstall office because the repair process didnt finished successfully but before reinstalling I did confirmed that the issue was resolved.
Just to make something clear VBA6 is created by Office 2007 and VBA7 by Office 2010.
Omar

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 08:44 PM

Tag cloud: