UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to alphabetize Field Names in a table    

Garggle
post Nov 21 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #1

Good morning.
I am using Access 2003 and have a table with 200+ fields. I would like to alphabetize the field names to make them easier to find and work with. Can this be done?
Go to the top of the page

+
theDBguy
post Nov 21 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Welcome to Utter Access!
That is a lot of fields! I'm not sure what you mean by finding and working with the fields but you can always create queries to reorder thing in Access.
Can you explain a bit more of what you are actually having problems with?

+
cpetermann
post Nov 21 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #3

UtterAccess Editor

Welcome to UA! -o!
Yme to UA! -o!
Your question leads me to believe that you are using Access as a flat spreadsheet
This isn't the correct way to utilize Access.
I would suggest reading through the articles below, and then come back with your questions so we can
help you get your project going on the right foot.sad.gif

Regards,
cynthia

+
JVanKirk
post Nov 21 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #4

UtterAccess VIP

I second Cynthia response. In my years of building databases I have never seen a table with 200 fields in it that was normalized. Read through some of the links Cynthia provided and if you would like, strip sensitive data out of a copy of your db and post your db here and we can take alook at it and help you get your structure normalized so you can use your db more efficiently.
P.S. As for alphabetizing your fields, I don't know of anyway to go about that without manually going down through and moving them up and down to the right order manually :(

+
Garggle
post Nov 24 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the welcome everybody.
I'm actually involved in two projects right now. My day job involves the maintenance of a large legacy system. I am also in the planning stage for a smaller DB for my own use.
This question is re: the legacy system. I actually believe the table to be normalized, but will read over the articles you suggest and make sure. Either way the table should probably be split up, but I don't see that happening at the moment. It's too firmly established and there are too many other projects on the burner. Given the size of the table I was hoping to reorganize the fields so that I can find them more easily. I will probably either live with the situation or do what Jason suggests and sort the fields by hand.
HAs an aside, my other project is a DB to support a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) garden that I have started as a side business. That project is being a lot of fun.
Thanks,
Allan

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 07:02 PM