UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to change default font for forms and reports    

TinkRbelle
post Sep 1 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #1

UtterAccess Addict

Hi all, Access 2007 and 2010, Vista SP2 and Win7
I have been able to find out how to set the default font for tables and queries, but, there does not appear to be a place to set the default font for all forms or reports. NS has the Calibri 8 programmed in as the default font for everything in the database, and I do not like that font, nor wish to use the font nor size 8, as the font it too hard to read and the size too small to read. Thus, I have to change the font and size in the properties for every control on every form or report. This is really too time consuming, and if I forget, the spacing is off and I have to redo.
Is there a way to create a module or function that will change the default font in the database to Arial 10 for all controls and buttons when the database is opened, or when a new form or report is created? I could create the module or function in a blank database and import of copy it into any new database and it would then set all fonts to the Arial 10 for all tables, objects, controls and buttons created in the database.
I have requested for some time for a means to allow Users to change the default font and size for the database of their choice across the board, but, MS turns a deaf ear to my pleas. So I am hoping someone here can help find a way to do it. I researching the issue, I know that I am not the only one who would really like to have this ability.
Any help would truly be appreciated.
Jan <
Go to the top of the page

+
Alan_G
post Sep 1 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #2

Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi Jan
Perhaps Allen Browne's tutorial will help

+
fkegley
post Sep 1 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #3

UtterAccess VIP

You can create template reports and fonts. You will need to place representative controls on the forms and reports and set the properties accordingly.
You could also try developing some code that roots through the AllForms and AllReports collections of the databases opening each form and report in turn and setting the properties that way.
This may not work, I am doing from memory, which is usually a bad idea:
Dim f As Access.Object
Dim c As Control
For Each f In Application.AllForms ' this might not be correct, I cannot remember
DoCmd.Open acForm, f.Name, 'design view goes here
For Each c In f.Controls
'You will probably want to ensure that the control in question has a font property to be set.
If TypeOf c Is TextBox ' not sure about this either
c.Font = ' font name goes here
End If
Next c
Next f

+
TinkRbelle
post Sep 1 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #4

UtterAccess Addict

Thank you very much Alan, I truly appreciate your time and help. This looks like the kind of information that will help my needs. And a very big "Thank you!" to Allen Browne for providing this useful information. :-)
Can <

+
TinkRbelle
post Sep 1 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #5

UtterAccess Addict

Thank you very much for your time to reply and assist, it is very much appreciated. I will give your suggestion a go and see what turns out.
Can <

+
Alan_G
post Sep 1 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #6

Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi Jan
ep, the thanks are due to Allen. Glad it's what you wanted - now if he'd have only spelt his name properly

+
TinkRbelle
post Sep 1 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #7

UtterAccess Addict

LOL! He may be thinking the same about you!
Can <

+
AlexSp
post Sep 1 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #8

Hi Jan,
nother way to quickly change the colors and fonts used by all controls in a form or report in Access 2007 is by applying an AutoFormat. The following article provides more information on AutoFormats: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-h...9004.aspx?CTT=1.
In Access 2010, AutoFormats are superseded by Themes. Themes are much more powerful than AutoFormats, allowing you to change the entire look of your application with one click. The following Access Blog post gives an introduction to Access 2010 Themes: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/access/archive/200...010-themes.aspx.
One caveat: Themes and AutoFormats affect which fonts are used by controls, but they do not affect the font size.

+
TinkRbelle
post Sep 1 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #9

UtterAccess Addict

Hi, Alex. Thank you for the additional information. Hopefully, this may work for existing apps.
I have developed most of the apps myself, but, some I have inherited from others who have used whatever was the default from Access '97 through 2010, or have chosen very odd fonts and sizes. Most of the forms and reports in these apps are very hard to read and do not print out in the proper report format, so they have to be changed. It would be so nice to be able to simply go to one place in the Options and select the basic default font and size that would apply to all controls, forms, reports, tables, queries, and everything else in the db, and convert all fonts and sizes to that default they are next opened or run. But, there does not seem to be any magic wand or words to do that. I guess I will have to keep writing to the Access Fairy in hopes that one day they will relent and make it so. :-)
Jan <

+
AlexSp
post Sep 2 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #10

Hi Jan,
Thanks for your feedback; I have shared it with the team.

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 01:56 PM

Tag cloud: