UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is continuous form?    

won_lek
post Jul 30 2010, 06:40 AM
Post #1

UtterAccess Enthusiast

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between continous form and single form?
What are the pro and con for each one?
For your info, I never used continous form yet till now... When I tried it, I can't see there is a difference from Single form?
Go to the top of the page

+
mike60smart
post Jul 30 2010, 07:01 AM
Post #2

UtterAccess VIP

Hi
ingle Form will display 1 Record
Continuous Form is designed to display a NUMBER of Records in a Continuous View or Row after Row

+
won_lek
post Jul 30 2010, 07:18 AM
Post #3

UtterAccess Enthusiast

Can you give some practical use of continuous form example?
ormally when do we use continuous form?
Thanks.

+
mike60smart
post Jul 30 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #4

UtterAccess VIP

The attached is an example of a Main / SubForm structure
When do you use them - In the example it demonstrates being able to View the Multiple Projects associated with a particular
Lead Name
Attached File  Example_MainSub.zip ( 36.78K ) Number of downloads: 264

+
projecttoday
post Jul 30 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #5

UtterAccess VIP

Use a continuous form when a datasheet is insufficient.

+
won_lek
post Jul 31 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #6

UtterAccess Enthusiast

Thank you guys, I think I understand now :-)

+
AlbertKallal
post Jul 31 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #7

UtterAccess VIP

I actually almost lie awake dreaming for questions like this !
ontinues forms are really a mechanism for displaying grids or columns of data.
In a fact they allow you to slip display and percent information for a much like how a spreadsheet works.
In fact just about any time you need the ability to display and allow editing of repeating rows of information, that a continuous form is your ticket. By the way the concept and ability of continuous forms in access is likely my favorite features in Access.
In a simple nutshell, however your question is actually really good, because often you can use other features of access to accomplish the same or similar goals. When things have similar abilities and goals, then there's always a little bit of confusion as to which choice of what option in access you want to use .
For example in the following screen shot in this form, I need to Display some rows of data on a form.

If you look at the above, on the left side I used what we call an access a list box. A list box also allows you to display rows of data, but if you look at the right side of the above screen shot, I used a continues form. This allowed me to have a little check box being displayed. So, the right grid on the above screen I inserted a form that is a continuous form.
Which is really neat about continuous forms is that any control button text box or check box that you place in the detail section of the form will repeat over and over for each row of data .
So in the following form, while I don't edit data, I built a search form in which the results are displayed in a grid. Note how the buttons even repeat over and over. If the user clicks on one of those buttons, then I launch open the detail form to edit the data. However, there is only one button I had to place on that form, and only one tiny bit of code behind the buttion. Access does the rest of its magic and repeats everything "each row" automatically for me.

THere is another larger form. Note how even combo boxes etc. repeat over and over for each row:

To develop forms like the above screen in other systems can be very expensive, and yet in access it's easy.
And note when you combine the above technique with sub forms, then you can drop multiple forms into one form, and cobble together some pretty brutal amazing setups that would often take time as a developer code and very expensive tools to build.
Note in the above screen, we have a regular form in normal mode (lets me edit one record). Then on the left side that create is a continuous sub form, and if you view of the form on the right hand side, once again you'll see a continuous form displaying data as a grid.
Oshould point out that for most development environments to have repeating boxes combo boxes eccentric, you usually have to resort to control systems and Complicated design systems, woods even more incredible is that these forms are bound and have all of the regular familiar events that are regular form has. So not only do they displayed grids of data, there also equally at home editing that data in those grids.
We thus use our longtime familiar forms that you Likely sent a considerable amount of time learning to master and use and develop with. Continues forms or great because we thus get to use that exact same form object for building those continuous forms. In other words you get a great power and capability without having to learn a whole new set of skills.
To say I'm excited about your question, and thrilled to share my passion and delight is an understatement. Continues forms are near tops in my books for ease of development. I would dare say without continuous forms, Our lovable little friend access would not be anything close to the fantastic product that it is now.
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

+
mike60smart
post Jul 31 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #8

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Albert
must agree wholeheartedly with your passion for Continuous Forms

+
Alan_G
post Jul 31 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #9

Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi Albert
I'm pretty sure there's medication, albeit quite strong that can help normalise your dreams
Otried.....honestly, I really really did try..........but.........I couldn't resist. My fingers seem to have had a mind of their own and just kept heading for the keyboard............. evilgrin.gif
Seriously though - great explanation of continuous forms and their usage <

+
Tiesto_X
post Jul 31 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #10

UtterAccess Veteran

AlbertKallal, that was an amazing explanation! So pro.

+
won_lek
post Jul 31 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #11

UtterAccess Enthusiast

Albert!
Thank you very much!
very detailed explaination. I think I got some idea how to proceed for my given task here.
Probably I can inorporat the function of contious form :-)

+
missinglinq
post Aug 1 2010, 06:19 AM
Post #12

UtterAccess Ruler

Actually Alan, as a retired health care professional, I'd have to suggest both heavy duty psychotropic drugs and long term therapy sessions for Albert's problem!
I have to admit, though, that I, too, have dreams involving code development! I've actually had the solutions to many, many coding problems come to me in my sleep! Revealing this always brought me strange looks from other programmers until I happened to mention it to the Computer Science department chair one day. She was most relieved, having suffered from the same sleep 'anomaly' for years, and thought that she, too, needed the services of a mental health professional!
Linq ;0)>

+
asha_prolific
post Aug 6 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #13

Hello Albert,
I am in the process of building a for that will enable a search of records held in a single Table, and the format of your form which contains the list box and continuos form is the ideal Form design that i am hoping to replicate. So far I have a list box that displays the data once the user inputs a name into the text field, all i need now is for a search button that will display the full details of the record elsewhere on the form page.
Can anybodyhelp pls!!!

+
Alan_G
post Aug 6 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #14

Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi Asha
Welcome to UtterAccess welcome2UA.gif
Designing the forms/reports/queries comes quite a ways down the road. The first thing you have to do is to design the tables which are the foundation of your database.
You mention a single table in your post, so I don't know whether you mean that is the only table in your database or that that's the table you want to search and there are others as well ?
Either way, in order to get more responses from more members, I'd suggest starting a new thread and asking your question there rather than tagging it on to an existing older question and answer <

+
ronymaxwell
post Sep 17 2012, 07:03 AM
Post #15

I would like to add my name to the already extensive list of people appreciating this post. I had two tables with a one to many relationship. I wanted to select a record from the 'one' table and have a form linked to the 'many' table display records related to that choice. Continuous forms made it easy. A form using the first table as the record source with a subform as a continous form using the second table as its record source automatically presented the records as I wanted them. Changing the record on the main form caused the particular records related to it on the subform to be displayed. All I had to do was link a field in both forms. It was a very simple process yet a very powerful tool.

+
eicherj
post Apr 4 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #16

I know it's brrn over 3 1/2 years since Albert's post, but the links cannot be found - thus useless! His response looked so promissing. Oh well, back to searching.

+
sureej19
post Apr 8 2014, 08:51 AM
Post #17

Thanks for the example file. Most useful.

+
AlbertKallal
post Apr 8 2014, 02:03 PM
Post #18

UtterAccess VIP

It was unfortunate, but about 4 years ago I had to "move" my web hosting as the current provider was removing their web hosting options.
suppose at that time I should have been spending money on my own URL that would never change or simply never bothered to post any screen shots here. Kind of a difficult choice. I not sure what is worse! (not bothering to post, or posting using something that would eventually cost me valuable time to fix or leave it as broken).
Anyway, the URL's are now fixed (re-edited), and if you refresh you should see the screen shots.
Best regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 08:42 AM