UtterAccess.com
We have detected that you are using an unsupported web browser. We recommend you to upgrade your web browser to get the most from UtterAccess forums.
Why should and how can I upgrade?
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't enter data into a form field!    

teresamichele
post Oct 9 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #1

UtterAccess Member

I'll admit - I'm pretty new at Access so this is probably something simple to fix.
created a form for a database in Access 2003. There are 4 fields - the autonumber field, then three text fields. For some reason I can't type anything in the first of the text fields. I can't type in the autonumber box either, but that's to be expected.
The form isn't locked and I can't figure out why it won't let me enter the data. Help please!
Go to the top of the page

+
Bob_L
post Oct 9 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #2

Utterly Banned

Check to make sure that the
Allow Edits property of the form is set to YES.

+
JVanKirk
post Oct 9 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #3

UtterAccess VIP

Welcome to UA,
eyond Bob's suggestion, is the form just controlled by one table, or is it using a query for the control source? If a query, make sure the query is updateable.
Otherwise, you need to check for AllowEdits and AllowAdditions to be set to yes and make sure the control isn't locked inadvertantly or Enabled set to No, but you shouldn't even be able to enter the control if Enabled is set to no if I recall...
J

+
teresamichele
post Oct 9 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #4

UtterAccess Member

There actually isn't an "allow edits" field under Properties. There's an "allow auto-correct" and that's marked to yes.
Here's what's weird. I decided to play with it, to see if I could get it to work.
If I am at the last record I created in the datasheet view, then hit next record, the first field just says "AutoNumber" which is fine. However, if I enter data into fields 3 and 4, go to the *next* record, then come back to the one before, the AutoNumber is populated with an actual number and field 2 - the first text field - can be edited.
Oreally, really don't get it!

+
teresamichele
post Oct 9 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #5

UtterAccess Member

It's controlled by three tables, but no queries.
There aren't AllowEdits or AllowAdditions fields in Properties for this field - or any of my text fields. My only "autos" are Allow Auto Correct and Auto tab.

+
Bob_L
post Oct 9 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #6

Utterly Banned

Not for the FIELD, for the FORM. Do this - Close the form. Reopen it and go to the properties dialog before touching any controls. You should see the Allow Additions/Allow Edits/Allow Deletions on the DATA TAB of the properties dialog.

+
teresamichele
post Oct 9 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #7

UtterAccess Member

All there is under the Form properties is "General" which shows things like the size and owner - nothing I can change.

+
Bob_L
post Oct 9 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #8

Utterly Banned

You aren't "listening"
You don't right click on the form and select PROPERTIES. You OPEN THE FORM in DESIGN VIEW, then you look for the PROPERTIES DIALOG which shows 5 tabs: FORMAT/DATA/EVENT/OTHER/ALL
It looks like this:

+
teresamichele
post Oct 9 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #9

UtterAccess Member

Everything was as it should be. It's allowing everything.
hould the "autonumber" field have a number in it when I go to a new record? I'm thinking that's part of the problem, since once that number is there, I can edit everything.
For example -
My database (it's just a practice one I made up) is three tables:
Albums (Album ID, Genre ID, Album name, Artist ID)
Genres (Genre ID, Genre name)
Artists (Artist ID, Artist name)
And I've got relationships between the two Genre IDs and two Artist IDs.
My form is:
Album ID (autonumber)
Album name
Genre name
Artist name
The album name field won't let me enter anything until there's a number in the auto-number field. In order to get that, I have to fill in the genre name and artist name, then click to a new record, and go back to the previous record.
Ohate feeling stupid, but I think this program is smarter than I am at the moment.

+
Bob_L
post Oct 9 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #10

Utterly Banned

How about uploading your database. It will be much faster for us to look at and get to the bottom of things.
irst go to Tools > Database Utilities > Compact and Repair
and then
Right-click on the file and select SEND TO > COMPRESSED FOLDER and upload the zip file that results. It needs to be at or under 500 Kb.

+
teresamichele
post Oct 9 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #11

UtterAccess Member

Good call! Here you go!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Music.zip ( 13.72K ) Number of downloads: 7

+
Bob_L
post Oct 9 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #12

Utterly Banned

Okay, here's the revised version. You had several things working against you.
. You should not have any other tables in the main form's recordsource. Just Album.
2. You should not be adding genres and artists from the main form. You use a separate form to add those. I deleted the duplicates and made the records unique.
3. Your artists need to be added in a separate form and then you use a combo on the main form to select them as well as the genre.
4. Check out the combo boxes' rowsources to see what I did.
I hope that explains it all.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Music_revBl.zip ( 14.51K ) Number of downloads: 11

+
teresamichele
post Oct 9 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #13

UtterAccess Member

Oh, you're awesome. Thank you!
. You should not have any other tables in the main form's recordsource. Just Album. - I understand what you're saying here!
2. You should not be adding genres and artists from the main form. You use a separate form to add those. I deleted the duplicates and made the records unique. - Again, I get what you're saying!
3. Your artists need to be added in a separate form and then you use a combo on the main form to select them as well as the genre. - I *think* I understand here. I could also just add them to the correct table, right?
4. Check out the combo boxes' rowsources to see what I did. - I'm not sure what you're talking about - but if you mean the list menus - I love them - and then people can't enter new names themselves, right? sad.gif
Thanks again!

+
Bob_L
post Oct 9 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #14

Utterly Banned

Re: #3 - yes, you could although I don't normally advocate working directly in the tables.
e: #4 - that is correct. (those drop downs are called Combo Boxes, just as an FYI to enhance your "Access Vocabulary.")

+
teresamichele
post Oct 9 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #15

UtterAccess Member

One more quick question -
I'm still not sure how you made the form let me enter data. I tried to make a form again via the Wizard, and it did the same thing it did before.
What about how you created the form enabled me to be able to eneter data in all fields?

+
Bob_L
post Oct 9 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #16

Utterly Banned

You are selecting the tables wrong. You only want the main album table. The ID's you add via the combo boxes. You don't need the Genre table or Artist table to be selected. If you do then it is not updateable.

+
teresamichele
post Oct 9 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #17

UtterAccess Member

I promise I'm really rather bright most of the time...
nother quick question. I made a combo box (yay for understanding the concept) but how did you get the Artist and Genre name to be what showed up in the box as opposed to the numbers?
Olooked at the record source for your file but I couldn't see what I was doing wrong.

+
Bob_L
post Oct 9 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #18

Utterly Banned

The rowsource includes both fields:
Select ArtistID, ArtistName From Artists OrderBy ArtistName
and then in the combo box properties you have to set
Column Count - 2
Column Width - 0";2"
The column width makes the first column (the ArtistID) hidden and then the second column show.
Hope that helps.

+
teresamichele
post Oct 12 2009, 07:04 AM
Post #19

UtterAccess Member

It did help - thank you so much! I played around and I can make the boxes like that on my own now. sad.gif

+
JVanKirk
post Oct 16 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #20

UtterAccess VIP

The autonumber will only show a number once a record is created. I wouldn't show the number on a form though as the autonumber field is really designed to be a key to relate tables. As Bob says, it might be quicker to upload the db and let someone take a look at it to see what's going on.

+

Thank you for your support! Reply to this topicStart new topic

Jump To Forum:

RSS Search  ·  Go to Top  ·  Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 05:18 PM