UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Security With Mdw, Access 2010    

jghogue
post Oct 11 2018, 07:38 AM
Post#1

Greetings All,

I have an Mdb that is using mdw for security. If I change Group Security in the Mdb, is the change made in the mdw or only in the mdb? If it is only contained in the mdb, then I would have to update the user's copy to apply the change.

What about any user level changes? Same question, is it stored in the mdb only or in the mdw?

Thanks.

jghogue
Go to the top of the page

jwild
post Oct 12 2018, 08:55 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

The mdw contains the usernames, group names, and the users' memberships in the groups.
The mdb contains the permissions that the groups/users have on each object.
So it depends on what you mean by 'change Group Security' and 'user level changes'

If you change the permission on an object, then yes, you have to update everyone's copy of the FE.
If you add/remove a user in some group, that is in the mdw, which is usually not distributed to everyone's computer.

Finally, you are using 2010; Access security was deprecated after version 2003.

--------------------
Joan Wild

jghogue
post Oct 15 2018, 06:46 AM
Post#3

Thanks, Joan

I knew there would be limited people that could answer this question. My client has 266 users that may or may not run 45 separate applications (sigh). I was hoping to avoid distributing new FEs.

So, just to clarify, if you choose Users and Group Accounts under Manage Users and Permissions, you are changing the mdw app. If you choose User and group permissions, you are changing the mdb. Am I correct?

Again, thanks for your response.

jghogue
This post has been edited by jghogue: Oct 15 2018, 06:48 AM

JonSmith
post Oct 15 2018, 07:37 AM
Post#4

.mdw's were removed such a long time ago I would be extremely careful about prolonging their use. Before long you might end up in a situation where you cannot administer them at all and everyone gets locked out.

You need to advice your client the risk associated with this and that they need to upgrade to the latest Access security methods (which is none tongue.gif) and distribute new FE's.

jwild
post Oct 15 2018, 08:02 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

So, just to clarify, if you choose...

Yes

--------------------
Joan Wild

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th October 2018 - 04:32 AM