UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2010. Logic To Open Front End If It Is Latest Version, Else Download Latest Version And Then Update?, Access 2010    

jmkeuning
post Jun 13 2018, 10:34 AM
Post#1

I keep a version number in a local table in my FE and a version number in my BE. This tells users they should update their version (in the event that they miss my notification.) "updating" is a matter of going to a network location and copying down a new accdb.

Are their any methods I can use to utilize this information (or any other available information) to run the logic that I describe in the topic title, namely to check if there is a more recent version and download it before opening?

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 13 2018, 10:54 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

I think there are several demos in the Code Archive to do what you need. Try searching for auto-fe updater.

Good luck!

isladogs
post Jun 13 2018, 11:09 AM
Post#3

As the DBGuy has already said, there are numerous examples of this available both at this forum and elsewhere.

My approach is to use a small 'updater app' which runs from the desktop shortcut & looks like a standard splash form
When run it checks the local version against a network version in an upgrade folder (or against a web version on my website)
If the current version is up to date, the main db opens
If a newer version is available, this is automatically downloaded***, overwriting the existing version, and that is opened.
The system also allows for the 'updater app' to check & update itself if a newer version exists

The process uses Windows APIs so is extremely fast - usually only a couple of seconds or so.

***but this can be halted if necessary
This post has been edited by isladogs: Jun 13 2018, 11:10 AM

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    26th September 2018 - 07:37 AM