UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "click To Relink Lists To Sharepoint", SharePoint Server 2010    

Brepea
post Jan 29 2018, 05:11 PM
Post#1

Hi All... I've recently had to go from Access BE to SharePoint BE... Mainly to help deal with a slow network server and SharePoint proved that much faster as a solution; so current setup is Access FE and SharePoint BE. I've tested the application with 20 concurrent users and there were no issues.... Perfect!

Until... Today with just one user online (connected to server via WiFi) I noticed that the user had a "click to re-link lists to SharePoint" in the bottom right of Access window... Where it usually shows "online with SharePoint"... I've never seen this before not do I know why it occurs.

Out came to my attention as a user could not add a new record, so they wanted me to see the error in action. Everytime a new record was attempted, the previously created record showed up as if you were editing that record. Of course we had this "click to re-link lists" icon as explained. We tried click create a new record about 20 times... Each time the most recent record appeared on screen(when you'd be expecting a data entry for new record). When the icon turned the usual status of "online with SharePoint"...

We clicked new record and it operated fine BUT this time after clicking create new record it's ID# went from like 160 to 180 (so I guess each time we tried to click create new record it was creating a new record in the background... without us knowing.

My command button for creating new record first creates new insert blank record into the table (to generate a new record ID), then I use VBA to quiet the need ID of record just inserted (which is used for new record).

Does anyone have any help on why the FE was not linking to list automatically?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jan 29 2018, 07:15 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

One good thing about using a SharePoint List as a BE is Access can cache the data so you can work offline and automatically sync the data when a connection is re-established. If the user is experiencing a disconnection, it could be a network issue, either on the server or the user’s side. If you cannot avoid this, you might consider changing your “add new record” routine to account for this problem. For example, adding a new record on a form without using code should be fine even when SharePoint is offline.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Brepea
post Jan 30 2018, 02:08 AM
Post#3

Hi DBGuy

consider changing your “add new record” routine to account for this problem. For example, adding a new record on a form without using code

I basically need to insert a new "blank record" into the (say the Customer table) to generate a CustomerID. I then get the ID by lookup up the max value of the CustomerID in the customer table. I then use this ID for the rest of the form. When working with Access (FE) to Access (BE) it creates the customerID automatically (autoNumber) - so i don't have this issue, so in SharePoint i approach it the way described. - I am not sure how else i could do it...the said form used also has subforms on it that rely on the CustomerID to be able to add actions, comments logs, etc.

Re: Disconnect issue - whilst everything did sync perfrectly without any issues - the experience is strange for me (let alone for the user) - as you click the cmdButton to "add new customer" and it opens the form expected but with the last customerID on screen as if in edit mode (when you're expecting to see blank screen to enter new customer details. Then as any user would do (as I did) is close that form (because you think perhaps you clicked the wrong cmdButton). Then you click the "new customer" cmdbutton again - and the same form opens in the same way (meantime - two new blank risks have been created with no indication this has happened) - then once you're "online with SharePoint" you all of a sudden have 2 new customers on record (which are blank records - and i get why they're there - but it's not clear they got there from a user point of view).

So I would want to try avoid the cmdButton to create new customer to be disabled if the "status" of connection to SharePoint Online is <> "Online with SharePoint"...of course this means people cannot create new customers when this is the case - but it's the only logical approach i can think of right now (i mean if the status says "click here to relink SP lists" - why does that happen? Other users can run the application fine with "Online with SP" status set - yet others have the "click here to relink lists"). So i guess there is no way i can force the relink to SP lists can i? And even if i could - would there be a point anyway, because SP would auto-relink when it could surely - OR - does the relink only happen once they exit the application and run it again? If disabling the ability to "create new customer" is the only option - how would i pickup the SP status - any ideas?

Brepea
post Jan 31 2018, 04:39 AM
Post#4

Does anyone know what the effect is of having the list "UserInfo" excluded / included is? It's the only thing i changed on the application (previously we never experienced the disconnect of sharepoint lists)...and i was wondering whether having the UserInfo added a linked list is causing issues here...
This post has been edited by Brepea: Jan 31 2018, 04:59 AM

Brepea
post Feb 12 2018, 12:38 PM
Post#5

Hi All

I wonder if anyone is able to help me determine / rule out things causing the "sharepoint tables are disconnected" message...? I have no way to try work out why this is happening. I mean there must be a reason; and i am sure it could be a million things - the network infrastructure / bandwidth on the SP servers, etc..

I guess i need a way to click a button on screen to auto-connect if it disconnects (i just wish i could work out why it's disconnecting in the first instance.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th February 2018 - 03:48 AM