UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access Application Appears To Be Reset To All Defaults, Access 2016    

ws1o
post Sep 22 2017, 12:44 PM
Post#1

Here's one of the weirdest things I've seen in 25+ years of working as a professional MS Access developer:

I built an MS Access database application a few months ago, and just now one of my coworkers, who has been working in the application all day, reopened it and told me the startup form was not opening. I looked and saw that many things seemed bizarre; first of all, we always run it with the object pane on the left showing view by details, and it was showing the objects by the simpler list view. Also, under the File -> Options dialog box, the application name that I had set was blank, the application startup form was blank, the name autocorrect checkbox I always turn off had been checked again, etc. Basically it looked like someone had created a brand new blank ACCDB file and imported all the objects, and it had all the default settings. And, when we tried to open a couple of the forms, we got error messages saying that the form couldn't be opened or wasn't recognized or something...I've never seen any behavior like this before. And the person using it is a reasonably qualified user and absolutely seems to have not done any such thing as creating a new ACCDB file or anything like that.

Is there any imaginable way an Access ACCDB container can get corrupted in the particular manner and somehow be reset to all its defaults? Has anyone ever seen this before? I tried Google searches for anything like this, with no results.

crazy.gif shrug.gif iconfused.gif confused.gif pullhair.gif
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 23 2017, 07:42 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Sorry, I've not seen or heard of anything that would cause this, other than user intervention.

Your description suggests the accdb might have been corrupted, "...when we tried to open a couple of the forms, we got error messages saying that the form couldn't be opened or wasn't recognized or something...."

It would be really helpful to know the exact error number and error message.. And also, did this happen to all forms, or only a couple of them? Did you quit after just trying one or two? Did queries run? How about tables?

Some other useful information for trouble-shooting might include whether this is a split accdb, and if so, did the linked tables open and return records?

Does this coworker use a shortcut to open the database application? If so, did they accidentally click on the wrong shortcut? Did you verify the shortcut is pointing to the correct accdb?

What does this coworker report about their use of the database application just prior to the incident? Did they close it in the normal way? Did they experience any problems, such as crashing and needing to create a backup?

Since this doesn't appear to be a "typical" kind of problem, I'd be looking mainly at two things: the way the user interacted with their copy of the accdb before and after they closed and reopened it, and any unusual network activity during that time frame.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Sep 23 2017, 07:43 AM

--------------------

ws1o
post Sep 27 2017, 08:45 AM
Post#3

We looked into it; seems to have been a corrupted ACCDB file. That's the only answer we can imagine. We had to have our IT support folks restore the file from a backup (the latest copy we had made was missing some hard-to-recreate data).

I had a suspicion it was a faulty ACCDB file, but I had never seen this particular behavior before; usually Access just plain won't open the file and complains that it's some unrecognized file format or something. It was weird that it opened it, but then displayed everything with defaults like it was a brand-new ACCDB file, and that the objects in it couldn't be opened. Strange.

The Access file format is a truly odd duck; I always wondered why it was built as one big container and all the objects exist inside it, rather than using separate files for forms, modules, etc, like Visual Basic. Makes it pretty fatal for all your objects if the container breaks.

One more reminder to keep backup copies of EVERYTHING!

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 27 2017, 08:49 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

I hope you have properly split your application into a Front End and a Back End? If not, now would be a good time to take care of that.

That's pretty much required for anything but a single-user, personal information type of application, and even then....

I like the fact that an accdb contains all of the tools you need to create database applications: Interface objects, coding objects, reporting objects PLUS a free database engine (ACE).

However, that convenience comes at a cost, as you've seen.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th October 2017 - 07:02 PM