UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> There Is Life For Your Awa After O365, Access 2013 Web App    

ryan996
post Mar 6 2018, 03:07 AM
Post#1

Create a snapshot package of your AWAs because there is indeed life after O365.

I'd like to share my experience moving our Access Web Apps to an on-premises solution.

We ended up going with a Microsoft Partner called Apps4Rent to provide a hosted SharePoint solution for our AWA. There are two different options to consider:

1) Shared SharePoint solutions

http://www.apps4rent.com/shared-sharepoint...plans-page.html

Plan prices are comparable to O365, but apparently you can't get access to the SQL Server back end in SSMS if you go with this option. You'll have to go with the 2nd option.

2) Dedicated SharePoint Plans

http://www.apps4rent.com/dedicated-sharepo...2016-plans.html

We have subscribed to the Bronze plan, and our AWA runs better than in O365. The performance of the app is much more consistent across the board without the dreaded timeouts after 60 seconds of processing.

Apps4rent provisioned SharePoint for free and loading AWA was as simple as in O365.

If you go this direction, you'd likely have to migrate all your users and your SharePoint site to them. I would suggest opting for the wildcard certificates to ensure a https connection to the server.

Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 6 2018, 07:50 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Thanks for the update.

As you may recall, the announcement of the April, 2018 end of support for AWAs applies ONLY to the Office 365 environment, not to an on-premises installation of SharePoint. Because you are leasing space in an on-premises SP site run by the vendor, you can count on on-going support as long as they continue to offer the service AND until they upgrade their version of SharePoint to one that no longer supports Access Web Services. My current understanding is that will be at least the next version after the current one, SP 2016. That probably means SP 2019. Who knows if that will be the last one to support AWS, but it does give us up to 10 years.

It would be great to get additional feedback on your experience with this vendor as you go. Obviously, people can't wait for very long to make a move, though. The end of support on Office 365 is on or before March 31st. It may be that you'll have an opportunity to retrieve DATA after that point, but I would NOT recommend anyone sitting around and waiting to see what happens.

Continued success with your project.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 6 2018, 01:05 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

Quick question. How many AWAs are you talking about?

--------------------

ryan996
post Mar 7 2018, 01:19 AM
Post#4

I've run 3 simultaneously on the same server while testing. I only need to run 2 at a time. One of them is rather large and resource intensive. (Lots of time based, on-the-fly calculations in queries.) The last few months in O365 have been awful. Inconsistent server performance and throttling leading to multiple Data Macro failures which had never occurred before.

I would encourage every AWA developer to take a snapshot package of your app before April 1st 2018.

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 7 2018, 01:32 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

Okay. Three total AWAS, then. All mission critical?

Yes, everyone should either take a backup or download their data before the first day of April, 2018. However, I also think you should make plans for a new interface.

You have a new host. Others may find that a possibility. The one thing you can’t do is hope for a reprieve from Microsoft. They will put any remaining AWAs on Office 365 in read only mode and then store app packages before shutting down the databases for good. I don't know the timeline for that, though. It could be a short window.

That said, waiting for the crisis to hit would be foolish. I'm glad to hear you've not waited around.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Mar 7 2018, 08:38 AM

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th July 2018 - 10:05 PM