UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Version Should I Certify In?, Any Version    

CryLittleSister
post Jan 10 2017, 11:53 AM
Post#1

Hi smile.gif

I'm hoping somebody in here can assist. Until I started my admin job 3 months ago, I had never heard of Access. My company has a very old database (10+ years) which runs on Access 2007.
After getting to know my way around (as a user rather than maintainer), I believe this can be made far more efficient and, of course, prettier.

I was looking into becoming MOS certified but it appears it is no longer possible to sit the 2007 exam in the UK.

So my question is this: Could I study and certify in a later version and simply extrapolate my learned knowledge to create the database I want using 2007? And if so, would you recommend/dissuade any version in particular?

Alternatively, is there a way for me to create and run the database in the newer version and other employees be able to use it without them all having to update their versions of Access?

I'm normally an expert googler but it's so hard when starting with no clue
Go to the top of the page

ranman256
post Jan 10 2017, 11:56 AM
Post#2

Whichever you do,it will be obsolete soon.
I'D use 2010,or 13.
They have the major changes (like attachments,menu changes) that are still in all the newer versions.

JonSmith
post Jan 10 2017, 12:01 PM
Post#3

Now you probably already have waaay more Access licences & installations than you need.
Only a developer needs Access, the end user can use the free program Access Runtime so you can easily learn and develop in a modern version and get the new runtime version installed for your users without worries about upgrading Office in general / cost.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 10 2017, 12:05 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

You should certify in the current version (Access 2016). There are not that many significant differences between current versions and those going back to the 2007 version. Mostly those are in interface elements, I believe.

Since 2010, Access has included some ability to create Web databases, or Web apps, but those would not appear to be highly relevant to your current situation.

That said, you should always develop in the same version your users have, i.e. in this case, Access 2007. It is generally going to turn out badly if you try to work with a newer version. There are potential incompatibilities that can bite you.

If the group upgrades to a newer version, then everyone should move at the same time, and you should continue to work with that same version, perhaps obtaining a copy before the larger group so you get familiar with it first.

--------------------

projecttoday
post Jan 10 2017, 12:30 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

welcome2UA.gif

--------------------
Robert Crouser

CryLittleSister
post Jan 11 2017, 10:42 AM
Post#6

Thank you for your guidance smile.gif

I think what I've decided is that I'll study and certify in 2016 and install runtime versions for other staff. I could give users the ability to remote into a computer which holds the full version if they need to do more than they are able and take it from there.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 11 2017, 10:45 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

Good luck with your project.

Just keep in mind that you and all of your users need to have the same version (whether full Access or runtime) in order to minimize incompatibility problems. If you move to Access 2016, then they all need to have runtime version of Access 2016 as well.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th September 2017 - 08:29 AM