UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can The Network Front End Be Prepped For Deployment Using A Remote Computer, Access 2010    

ZippyThePinhead
post Jan 7 2018, 12:44 PM
Post#1

The computer I use at work to do my dev and maintenance has the v15 library. Many of the other machines using the final code have the v14 library. To make things even more interesting, the VPN that I use from home runs 64 bit (the locals are all 32 bit). What I'm doing now is to write/edit the code on my machine or the vpn and then do the final compact/repair/compile/convert to accde on one of the 32 bit/v14 machines. That works, but is very frustrating for me because I can't deploy a new version or even make any simple changes without going on-site and digging up an older unit.

I understand the concept of late binding, and maybe that would fix the 15/14 problem, but it won't let me deal with the 64/32 issue.

Here's my question: once I've done all my prep work and testing, can I copy the front end to my home laptop, crunch it to a 32/14 accde, and then put it back on the system? My concern is the links to the network backend. I'm afraid those connections would not be maintained if I compile the FE in isolation, even if the links are firmly established in the working version on the host network.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jan 7 2018, 12:52 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Just a thought but maybe what you could also do is duplicate the network mappings on your home computer to make sure the connections in the FE don't break.

Hope it helps...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 7 2018, 01:14 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

I assume you mean 32/64 bit OFFICE, not Windows?

And V14/V15 would also refer to Office versions 2010 (14) and Office 2013 (15)?

Just to be sure we're on the same page.

It seems to me that you do need to create the accdes using the same version of Office to which that accde will be deployed, i.e. if the end user has Office 2013, you create the accde with Office 2013, or for Office 2010, you create it with Office 2010. And, of course, with the same bitness.

Assuming that all of that is an accurate description of the environment, I would say the remaining issue is duplicating the network mappings, as theDBguy describes.

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Jan 7 2018, 03:04 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Late Binding is the solution to your version 14/15 issue. See: http://www.devhut.net/2017/02/16/VBA-early...binding-part-2/

As for the 32/64 bit issue, see: http://www.devhut.net/2017/04/13/access-x3...-compatibility/

Ultimately, I'd recommend a using a Virtual Machine (VM) to have the exact setup to that of your work environment, or use a remote desktop technology to perform all your work on the actual work computer.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

ZippyThePinhead
post Jan 7 2018, 03:45 PM
Post#5

The 32/64 bit issue relates to office, not windows. And I don't have remote access to any of the machines that run 32 bit; from off-site, my only option is to use a VPN with 64 bit office, while the computers on-site all use 32 bit. Don't ask me why that is, but rest assured that I will not be able to change either the VPN or the local machines' versions.

So, then, it sounds like the only way for me to reliably compile to 32 bit from off site would be to duplicate the entire network architecture to another computer--including the mapping to the BE. That's going to be difficult because the data in the BE is sensitive, so I would have to copy the tables and then delete all the records before I could copy the architecture to my off-site machine. Even then, I might get into some trouble with our security folks.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 7 2018, 04:50 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

You don't HAVE to have live production data in a local database just for this step do you? In fact, it's probably a lot safer NOT to use live production data while developing, testing, and preparing for deployment.

A set of local tables, emptied of data, can be used, in fact. Or, at most, set up with sufficient dummied up values to get things to "work".

Would that avoid the problem of sensitive data in a non-secure environment?

--------------------

ZippyThePinhead
post Jan 8 2018, 07:27 AM
Post#7

From my perspective, using empty tables or tables with limited data would be fine for the step of conversion to accde. I guess the question whether or not that would create problems for the database. If mirroring everything but the actual data (that is, the table names and relative locations) would allow the process to complete successfully, I guess that would be okay.

Assuming I choose this approach, how carefully would I need to mirror the network? The overall system is huge and complex, but the backend is stored in a virtual Y drive. If I use the address y:\folder1\folder2\backend\BE.accdb, would that be adequate or do I need to find out the full name of the folder in the whole system?

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 8 2018, 09:25 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

That's a tough call because mapped drives tend to be more fragile than full UNC paths when it comes to linking BEs. That is, mapped drives can change, or they can be mapped differently on different users' computers. So, it depends on how your particular network is set up and maintained.

Linking to the tables in any BE shouldn't require any data at all to work. Try it out on a small sample of one or two tables first to see if you raise any issues.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th May 2018 - 05:27 PM