UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SQL Azure Firewall, Any Versions    

skg0509
post May 13 2018, 05:08 AM
Post#1

Hi all..

I have a Access 2016 FE connected to SQL Azure, all words fine. However occasionaly some of the users need to move locations so obv will have a diff IP. I can add a full IP range into the Azure firewall 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255 whilst the password is very strong i am reluctant to do that.

Is there a way that you can add the current IP automatically into the Azure firewall via a stored procedure from the FE? Perhaps have a 2nd password that the user has to enter first, when they detect that they are at a new location?

There seems to be pros n cons for both methods, but client wants to have the firewall enabled, but they dont wanto to go through the hassle of a admin person adding in the IP for remote users all the time when they are on the road.

Cheers

Steve
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post May 13 2018, 07:59 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Think about it.

The purpose of the Firewall is to prevent anyone from connecting to the SQL Azure instance who is not previously approved.
Even if there WERE a way to allow someone to connect to Azure from a different, previously unauthorized, IP address, which there is not, you could, theoretically, be saying "Come on in, world, the hacking is fine." In other words, you're trusting the Access FE to be the gatekeeper now. Not a very good plan, IMO. In any event it would defeat the purpose if you opened the Firewall that way, would it not? Why bother? Open up the range, as you mention and rely on your own credentialing protocol.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: May 13 2018, 09:05 AM

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Visit My Blog on Facebook

skg0509
post May 17 2018, 09:31 AM
Post#3

Hi George

Many thanks for the prompt reply and sorry for the delay in replying...

Yes i definitely agree with you when you lay it out like that, I was just wondering if there was a best of both worlds situation, I will as you suggest open up the IP range.

Have a great day and thanks again. smile.gif

All the best

Steve

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th September 2018 - 06:00 AM