UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Combos And Pushbuttons Embedded In The Rows Of A Listbox (?), Access 2016    

AvantGuy
post Apr 15 2018, 05:34 PM
Post#1

Warning, Access neophyte -- my post here.

Just reading a posting here about continuous forms. This reply has three images, the 2nd and 3rd showing what appear to be controls -- checkboxes, pb's, combo's -- embedded as fields within the rows of a listbox. Is this really what's going on here? I'm having difficulty following Albert's narrative. How is this done?

Thanks for tolerating my naiveté.

--Bob
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Apr 15 2018, 05:45 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Bob,

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif

I didn’t read the whole post but it seems Albert was simply using a continuous form to display multiple rows of data including the checkboxes.

However, it is now absolutely possible to have checkboxes in a combo box or list box but most developer avoid it.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 15 2018, 05:57 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

Keep in mind that continuous forms DISPLAY one "row" per record in the form's recordsource. If that recordsource only has one record, the continuous form only has one row. If there are twenty records in the current recordsource for a form in continuous view, it will have twenty rows, although the height of the screen and the form may be limit the display to a smaller number. If that happens, a scroll bar appears on the right side to allow you to move up and down.

So, when you look at a form in DESIGN view, you'll only see the one set of controls--command buttons, text boxes, combo boxes, images, etc. Flip it to continuous view and all of those controls are repeated over and over, as necessary.

--------------------

AvantGuy
post Apr 15 2018, 06:51 PM
Post#4

Thanks George, yes... I have a rough (quite) understanding of the continuous form concept but what I don't understand is how the author gets those controls embedded there in the first place. I'm assuming that whatever is the trick, it would also apply to single-mode forms as well...(?)

In my application, in the details data-entry form, I think the controls within a row of a listbox would be an effective, if not perfect, UIF. Example: I'd love to have a combo box with three choices (e.g., "PASS" - "FAIL" - "N/A") in one of the fields which would then become entry for the eventual record update.

Might you be able to suggest something for that?

Thanks, Bob

AvantGuy
post Apr 15 2018, 06:54 PM
Post#5

Thanks DBguy.

Why do most developers avoid checkboxes in combos or listboxes?
(I assume that also applies to combos or PB's in a listbox as well?)

--Bob

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 15 2018, 07:53 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

Ah, I think I overlooked a key point in your question. You asked about a LISTBOX, but we commented on SUBFORMS , and theDBguy pointed out that Albert does, in fact, illustrate SUBFORMS containing controls like command buttons and checkboxes. So, that's the answer.

Albert doesn't illustrate those controls in a listbox. He illustrates a list box only in the upper left corner of his screenshot.

"If you look at the above, on the left side I used what we call an access a list box. A list box also allows you to display rows of data, but if you look at the right side of the above screen shot, I used a continues form. This allowed me to have a little check box being displayed. So, the right grid on the above screen I inserted a form that is a continuous form."

And they couldn't be used in a list box anyway, at least not controls like images and command buttons.

For that reason, what you want should be done with a form in continuous view, in a subform control on the main form.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Apr 16 2018, 07:06 AM

--------------------

Peter Hibbs
post Apr 16 2018, 02:01 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Bob,

As the others have said, you can use a Continuous type form in place of a List box and make it look like a List box, if that is what you want. See HERE for some more examples.

Peter Hibbs.

pere_de_chipstic...
post Apr 16 2018, 04:21 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess Editor

PMFJI

Hi Bob

You ask
Why do most developers avoid checkboxes in combos or listboxes?

I believe theDBguy was referring to the use of what are known as Multi Value Fields (MVFs) which do show a check box to the left of each record in a Listbox or combo box drop down list. They were introduced in Access 2007, however they are quite tricky to use and can impose some severe limitations on the database design e.g. you are unable to upsize the data file Back End (BE) to a full RDBMS database such as MySQL or SQL server etc and it is not easy to import or export data to or from MVFs ; as a result most developers avoid them.

hth (Hope That Helps)

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

projecttoday
post Apr 16 2018, 04:33 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

You could be right, but I wonder. Why would the dbGuy have been referring to MVF's?

Since combos/lists return a value on click, why would you put a button there? Is it cosmetic, just to emphasize that you want to start something up or is there another reason? I could see putting more than one to distinguish multiple functions (can you do that?) but that would be rare, I think.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

pere_de_chipstic...
post Apr 16 2018, 04:43 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess Editor

Hi Robert

In post #2, DBguy states:
However, it is now absolutely possible to have checkboxes in a combo box or list box but most developer avoid it

Not sure what else he could have been referring to?

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

projecttoday
post Apr 16 2018, 04:48 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

Not sure what else he could have been referring to?

Any combo box or list box where there could have been a need for a button but where a button wasn't placed.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

pere_de_chipstic...
post Apr 16 2018, 05:01 AM
Post#12

UtterAccess Editor

Hi Robert

Not sure I understand your query. DBguy's post states "However, it is now absolutely possible to have checkboxes in a combo box or list box but most developer avoid it" I don't know of any other situation where a checkbox is 'IN' a combo box or list box.

e.g.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  MVF.JPG ( 22.77K )Number of downloads: 1

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

projecttoday
post Apr 16 2018, 05:06 AM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

Okay, I see what you mean.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

pere_de_chipstic...
post Apr 16 2018, 05:24 AM
Post#14

UtterAccess Editor

No worries thumbup.gif

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

AvantGuy
post Apr 16 2018, 08:39 AM
Post#15

George, I'm redfaced this morning. I had a profound misunderstanding of continuous forms, thinking that a control placed onto such a form became a subclass of the form and thus took on special characteristics. I'm beginning to see the light now. Thanks.

AvantGuy
post Apr 16 2018, 09:36 AM
Post#16

Peter, this example db seems exactly what I need. However, I'm running Access 2016 and there are problems. It seems to run properly in 2016 but all objects are locked -- I can't open anything in dev-mode. I can't export. When doing a Save As, I get "Could not use [file path]\List Box Alt.mdb; file already in use". It doesn't matter what I'm naming the target either. I'd like to look under the hood/bonnet! Thanks, Bob.

AvantGuy
post Apr 16 2018, 09:41 AM
Post#17

Bernie, what tangled webs, eh. I see no need for MVF's in my app, but wouldn't dare question their usefulness in other contexts ...at least until I somehow matriculate upwards from my current neophyte status :--)
This post has been edited by AvantGuy: Apr 16 2018, 09:42 AM

projecttoday
post Apr 16 2018, 09:49 AM
Post#18

UtterAccess VIP

AvantGuy, I noticed you responded to George and didn't respond to me and that's cool. I was just wondering... Is it possible that you think George and I are the same person?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 16 2018, 10:20 AM
Post#19

UA Admin

I'm sure Robert is younger and smarter, so there's that.

--------------------

AvantGuy
post Apr 16 2018, 11:31 AM
Post#20

Oh, sorry Robert. It seemed your replies were to Bernie in a little duo discussion. I read and appreciate that sub-thread as well! It's all relevant and most helpful. Thanks, --Bob.

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd April 2018 - 05:47 AM