UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keyboard Not Working, Windows 7    

itsmemj
post Aug 7 2018, 05:38 AM
Post#1

Hoping someone can help me.

I have an Ienovo laptop and after a recent large Windows 10 update my key board stopped working. As I have experienced a lot of trouble with windows 10 I decided to revert back to Windows 7 which was on the Laptop when I purchased it. This made no difference but I can use a USB keyboard. I took the laptop to a repair shop and they told me i need a new keyboard. Not convinced this is correct as I never had a problem before the update.

Was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or give me an explanation as to how the update could stop the keyboard from working.

Thanks
Regards
Mike
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 7 2018, 07:50 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Sorry, but it's impossible to know -- from a distance -- exactly what might have happened. It could, indeed be a result of the update, but it could also be a coincidence. How old is this laptop? You mention it had Windows 7 on it when it was purchased, and that would make it more than two or three years old, I would guess. It could very easily be the keyboard did fail.

That said, it could be the update because the newer Windows 10 drivers may have broken support for an older keyboard. I suggest you visit the Lenovo website and search there for reports of such problems. Also see if there are newer keyboard drivers available.

Vince
post Aug 7 2018, 08:28 AM
Post#3

As George says it's impossible to know, however I have a Lenovo laptop which ran into all sorts of problems last week including keyboard not working, screen flashing on and off, and reporting 'fan error' and shutting off. I thought it was going to be terminal, but physically removing the battery, holding the power switch for a minute to drain everything, and reinstalling the battery sorted it out.

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 7 2018, 08:55 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

"Did you turn it off and back on again?"

Best trouble-shooting question ever!

zocker
post Aug 8 2018, 09:29 AM
Post#5

Utterly Eccentric and Moderator

Try uninstalling the keyboard: Control Panel > Keyboard > Hardware Tab > Properties .> Driver Tab > Uninstall
Then shut computer down....with mouse!!
Restart

all the best

Zocker

itsmemj
post Aug 26 2018, 09:28 PM
Post#6

Thanks guys for your help, tried all the above but still the same. guess I will have to buy a new keyboard.

--------------------
Thanks & Regards

Mike

JonSmith
post Aug 27 2018, 03:11 AM
Post#7

Buy a new keyboard for a laptop? Is that even possible?

I think its most likely that the driver is messed up?
Can you see the keyboard in your drivers and devices? Rather than reinstalling drivers you can also try rolling back to a previous driver?

Did the repair shop qualify what had faulted in the keyboard? Due to recent experience with a repair guy trying to scam me on repairs to my boat motor I am abit wary of the 'oh yeah, its broke, buy a new one' attitude....

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd October 2018 - 05:51 PM