UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Microsoft Office Access Doesn't Support This Activex Control, Access 2007    

mikewebb
post Feb 16 2017, 10:23 PM
Post#1

got visual basic 6 installed. registered the ocx file. when i select insert an activex control (microsoft winsock control, verison 6.0) . i get the following error "microsoft office doesn't support this activex control. any idea's ? is there another way ?? i want my msaccess VBA program on one computer to be able to "talk" to another msaccess VBA program on another computer. winsock seems to be the way to go but it's really old. can someone tell me how to get winsock running or another way to communicate between programs without have to poll each other. i mean like i know i could write a file to a shared folder and have the other program check that file every second or so but i would rather have something thats more "with events". i think in other languages they call it a "call back function". any help ??
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 17 2017, 02:15 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

What are you actually trying to achieve?

Do you need to run VBA functions in the second accdb? Or are you interested in data in tables in it?

--------------------

mikewebb
post Feb 17 2017, 06:47 AM
Post#3

one computer is wired into my dryer and spinner (more to come later). i would like to be able to turn this stuff on/off from another computer. also from the other computer i would like to be advised of the progress of the operations, such as what stage in the spinning process is it in. later on the other computer (the one not connected to anything) will be connected to stuff (climate control) i would like to be able to make changes to those settings from either computer. right now i'm using vnc. works but not what i really want. small things about it that i really don't like, such as when i turn the dryer on from the computer thats wired in the speech is real loud, loud enough to be heard in the living room, seems like the computer should be able to start the dryer and tell the other computer that the dryer has started and then both computer say in a normal volume "dryer has started" same for when the dryer cycle is over. you get the idea i think, i have a kool hobby. wifes into it as long as i do the Laundry smile.gif

mikewebb
post Feb 17 2017, 11:02 AM
Post#4

taking a clue from "Do you need to run VBA functions in the second accdb?" its seems that this might work.

Dim appAccess As Access.Application

'Create instance of Access Application object.
Set appAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application")

'Open Test Database in Microsoft Access window.
appAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase "C:\Test\Test.mdb", False

'Run Sub procedure.
appAccess.Run "CountTablesInDB"

Set appAccess = Nothing

only problem i see is that the program is already running on the remote machine. is there a way to create the "access.application" object without opening it ? the appaccess.run looks very interesting.

mikewebb
post Feb 18 2017, 12:11 PM
Post#5

no that doesn't work the way i wanted it. its bring up the remote program locally and excucting the code locally. i'm looking for communications between VBA programs across the network. i only see winsock as a solution and i can't get that to work because i get the error message "microsoft office doesn't support this activex control" anyone got an idea ?

mikewebb
post Feb 18 2017, 12:37 PM
Post#6

for visual basic 6 i did the following: installed service pack 6, installed cumitive update for service pack 6. "microsoft office doesn't support this activex control" went away. seems i can get the activex control onto the form now. problem solved. thanks everyone.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    26th June 2017 - 10:45 PM