UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scatter Chart By Date & Time, Office 2013    

soglejr
post May 15 2017, 10:47 AM
Post#1

Does anyone have an idea how to create a Scatter Chart in a circle with Date & Time axes?

Thanks for the assist.
Go to the top of the page

June7
post May 15 2017, 01:43 PM
Post#2

What do you mean by 'in a circle'?

soglejr
post May 15 2017, 02:14 PM
Post#3

See attached .jpg

The concentric circles are days of the month.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  01_Blank_Pattern_Analysis_Plot_Sheet.jpg ( 204.57K )Number of downloads: 4

June7
post May 15 2017, 03:24 PM
Post#4

Never seen anything like that and I doubt you will be able to replicate in Access. I doubt Excel graphing could handle. Probably needs very specialized app or very advanced programming skills to program plotting points.
This post has been edited by June7: May 15 2017, 03:27 PM

dflak
post May 16 2017, 11:03 AM
Post#5

Utter Access VIP

This looks a lot like a radar plot that does exist in Excel. Take a look at it and let us know if that will work for you.

If not, then provide a sample workbook with non-sensitive, but representative data. Also dummy up an example of what you want to see, that is, how do I get from the table to the chart if it isn't obvious from the data.

We might be able to do something with polar coordinates.

--------------------
Dan

One spreadsheet to rule them all. One spreadsheet to find them. One spreadsheet to bring them all and at corporate, bind them.
Please zip and attach samples. It makes life easier for those who have to figure out what you are trying to do. Thanks

soglejr
post May 16 2017, 11:56 AM
Post#6

This guy is close

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/publish_train/...%20circle.shtml

I have been working with a Radar Plot in Excel and I'm pretty close.

I'm having issues formatting the Axes.

ADezii
post May 16 2017, 12:08 PM
Post#7

I agree with dflak in that it looks like a Radar Chart which can easily be produced within Excel.

JonSmith
post May 17 2017, 03:07 AM
Post#8

For the person who said this looks too hard for Excel I think you are totally ignorant of what Excel can do in that case. Its graphs are great and I think you can do this without much trouble.

As above some sample data would be awesome but I will mock something up once I am in the office and get 10 mins to breathe.

June7
post May 17 2017, 04:24 AM
Post#9

Yes, have not done a lot of graphing in Excel and this was just so new to me. Agreed, I spoke too quickly out of ignorance of Excel capability. Learn something new every day.

Glad someone else contributed to the discussion.
This post has been edited by June7: May 17 2017, 04:25 AM

soglejr
post May 17 2017, 12:15 PM
Post#10

Here's some sample data.

The circle slices need to be in hours with the top being 00:00 and the concentric circle from outer to inner are days of the month.

My current issue is the data is dynamic plotting and I can't figure out how to get the time of 02:56 to plot at its appropriate position on the graph and not creating its own entry. The same with the dates.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Scatter_Plot_Experiment.zip ( 16.71K )Number of downloads: 3

dflak
post May 18 2017, 03:31 PM
Post#11

Utter Access VIP

I jumped on this for two reasons:
1. Always like to help out a GI.
2. I sort of knew what to do, but didn't know how to do it, so it caused me to look stuff up.

I used this article and a lot of macro recording to come up with this. http://peltiertech.com/polar-plot-excel/.

On the sheet, the date the time and the activity are what you are tracking now. The only difference is that it's in an Excel Table. There are a couple of reasons for this.
1. Excel tables know how big they are, so the chart will always reference the correct amount of data.
2. Excel tables automatically copy down formulas and I need helper column formulas.

The Day, Time Angle, X and Y are these helper columns. You can hide these columns if you wish.

There is also a hidden sheet that plots the X & Y and has another table that actually draws the concentric circles and spokes. You can unhide this sheet and look at it if you wish.

As you enter data into the table on the data sheet, the X-Y plot on the hidden sheet plots it automatically.

When the press the button. The series containing the activity in the polar chart is removed, and the helper chart is copied into the polar chart. The rest is a bunch of formatting.

There are some limits. I'm hard coded to 35 days so every month will fit. I can fix that for a future enhancement. smile.gif. The concentric rings are in 5-day increments. They are slightly misaligned. The reason is while you can make the size of the doughnut hole zero manually, the minimum size hole allowed by VBA is 10 percent. You can record a macro to downsize it to zero percent, but the macro will fail when it's run. Also I haven't figured out how to get rid of the negative signs on the days and I could not figure out how to put in the hours at all, so they are text boxes.

This is the best I can do for the moment.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Scatter_Plot_Experiment_0.3.zip ( 34.21K )Number of downloads: 1

--------------------
Dan

One spreadsheet to rule them all. One spreadsheet to find them. One spreadsheet to bring them all and at corporate, bind them.
Please zip and attach samples. It makes life easier for those who have to figure out what you are trying to do. Thanks

soglejr
post May 18 2017, 04:49 PM
Post#12

Wow. This is a lot to digest.

Looks pretty good.

Thanks for the assist.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    27th May 2017 - 06:05 PM