UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Connecting To Oracle Database    

TomS
post Mar 1 2017, 05:28 PM
Post#1

Hello,

I have a Windows 8.1 machine with Access 2013. I am trying to connect to an Oracle database. I installed Oracle instant client 12.1.0.2.0. When I create a data source using Microsoft ODBC for Oracle (driver: MSORCL32.dll), I get an ORA-01019 error. When I use Oracle instant client as administrator (driver: SQORA32.dll) it get a Oracle error ORA-01134. When I use instant client not as an administrator I get Oracle error 12170. Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 1 2017, 07:46 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

What error descriptions accompany the error numbers? That'll give people much more useful information to consider.

--------------------

TomS
post Mar 2 2017, 12:03 PM
Post#3

These are the three error messages depending on which driver I am using:
Setting up a File DSN or User DSN or System DSN using Microsoft ODBC for Oracle driver. Error:
The Oracle™ client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of Oracle version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation

Setting up a User DSN not as adminstrator using Oracle instant client driver.
Error:
12170: TNS: Connection timeout occurred. (#12170) [Microsoft][ODBC driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed IM006 0 [Microsoft][ODBC driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetconnectAttr failed (#0)

Setting up a System DSN as adminstrator using Oracle instant client driver:
Error:
Unable to connect
SQL State=S1000
[Oracle][ODBC][Ora] ORA-12170: TNS: Connect timeout occurred

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 2 2017, 03:27 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

Thanks. Knowing the context of the errors is helpful.

The first one is telling you that the MS driver doesn't include all of the necessary client and networking components Oracle needs. Are you working with an instance of Oracle on your own computer, or one run by your IT department? If the latter contact them for help in getting all of the client and networking components you need on your computer. If you installed it locally yourself, perhaps revisit the installation to make sure you installed all of the necessary components.

The second one and the third are both probably related to the same problem: either your credentials are wrong, which means you can't connect, or the attempt is timing out trying to make the connection. In both cases, of course, you'll need to determine whether you are supplying the correct user name and passwords.

In addition, you may need to configure your firewall to permit connections to a remote Oracle instance, assuming this isn't one on your own computer. Is the Oracle instance configured to permit remote connections? That should be the case, of course, but it might be that your computer is not permitted to connect for some reason.

All of which brings up a couple of other fundamental questions. I'm assuming that, because Oracle is an enterprise application, you are actually trying to connect to an enterprise server instance. Is that the case?

Do you have IT support? Can you get them to help you through the connection process? Do they need to add you to a Role on the database to which you need to connect? Do you know the name of that database?

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    27th June 2017 - 03:51 PM