UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> View Open Windows Folder While Using Access Database, Windows 7    

Jessie
post Oct 6 2017, 12:10 PM
Post#1

First - Oh goodness, I have no idea if I picked the right forum - I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

I have a minor network problem with a User and an Access database. The backend is stored on a Network shared server. The front end (with linked tables to the BE) is saved as a Runtime on a Sharepoint site. The users have been instructed to download the Runtime to their personal computer and then open the Runtime from the local computer. This allows them to properly connect to the Network share. Our Corporation has eliminated the option within Sharepoint to connect data files - I cannot link Excel to Excel, Access to Excel, Sharepoint to Access, etc., etc. NO DATA SHARE ALLOWED (what the heck, right?)

So I'm just using Sharepoint only to deploy the Runtime Front end file.

One user has decided to go rogue and Open the Access file through the web browser and not download the file. In all my testing of this, it basically created a temp version of the file on the users computer in the temp folder and didn't properly connect to the network share, since they are on separate servers. It is not saved in a web version of Access, so therefore it won't open within Sharepoint. He is complaining that "the database is broken" but when we explain you are not downloading properly, he insists he is.

What I want to do is have a log file of who opened the database and what network share, with full subfolder list, they have open at the time. I should expect to see a list of users and the C drive/ personal computer names/desktop (or similar path). But for this user I'm thinking I'll see either no network file or a path to his internet temp files.

Am I on the right track of thinking?

Jessie.

Go to the top of the page

doctor9
post Oct 6 2017, 01:34 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

Jessie,

If the user is supposed to be saving the file to their C: drive somewhere, then give this a try. It's what I use.

Assuming you have some sort of Switchboard or similar form that opens automatically when the database opens, add code along these lines:

CODE
'   Make sure the user is not opening the network copy of the frontend file
    If Left(Application.CurrentProject.Path, 1) <> "C" Then
        MsgBox "Please DOWNLOAD this database from Sharepoint to your computer " & _
               "and open the database from there."
        Application.Quit
    End If

You may want to also test for whether the path includes the word "download" or some other indication that it's the temp folder you talked about.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

Jessie
post Oct 6 2017, 01:42 PM
Post#3

Oooohhhh .... I like it! I never even thought about it from the perspective of stopping the user.

Thanks! Great, easy solution!

Jessie

theDBguy
post Oct 6 2017, 01:50 PM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Jessie,

Pardon me but I just had a thought too. Stopping this user won't eliminate his complaining. He might declare the database is definitely broken even more.

The thought I had was along the lines of what Dennis was suggesting. When the database opens, check if it's in the right folder or not. If not, then "move" or "copy" it to the correct folder and then launch the new database and close the bad one.

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Jessie
post Oct 6 2017, 03:15 PM
Post#5

Thanks for the input DBGuy -- I totally appreciate that information.

I am not going to do your suggestion, although I completely concur that it is an excellent solution. Right now, what we need to have happen is ALL users need to follow directions. We have a non-compliance situation and I need to verify that all are compliant with the documented procedures. While I could force his compliance by moving the file (per your suggestion) what I don't then have is the employees acceptance of policy. (Giant corporation here, where we sign off as we understand policy & agree to be compliant).

But by not having a Stop gap in place, we could not confirm the employee's non-compliance. I tested the code by doctor9 and it worked as expected. My project manager LOVED it. It solves our issue without more complicate measures like screen or key-press recording.

I Adore this site and every time I'm stuck or need help you all always come through for me. (And often I find what I need by doing a search first!)
Thank you everyone at UtterAccess!! pompom.gif

Jessie

theDBguy
post Oct 6 2017, 03:19 PM
Post#6

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Jessie,

Glad to hear you got a working solution. Cheers!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

doctor9
post Oct 6 2017, 04:11 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess Editor

Jessie,

If you still want to track when/who this happens with, take a look at my post in the Code Archive. It's a simple way of storing messages like "This computer had that error on this date" quietly for the administrator of the database. I came up with it as a way of sending myself a message without resorting to an E-Mail.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th November 2017 - 02:54 AM