UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Black Screen Of Death, Not applicable    

duggie
post Oct 21 2017, 05:40 AM
Post#1

My HP Envy, i7, 16 GB RAM has got the black screen of death.

I tried taking the battery out, holding on / off switch for 30 secs, then replacing but to no avail.

HP said they no longer have any spare parts, as my laptop is 4 years old.

Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 21 2017, 06:06 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Do you know if it was a hardware failure or a software failure?

--------------------

duggie
post Oct 21 2017, 06:47 AM
Post#3

Not entirely sure.

Originally, it powered OK, once in 20 attempts, so I assumed nothing was wrong with the hardware.

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 21 2017, 06:59 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Can you boot it to the BIOS? Most computers have the option to boot to the BIOS, perhaps by holding down the F8 Key during power on, or maybe the F2 or F3 key.

--------------------

duggie
post Oct 21 2017, 07:09 AM
Post#5

No, can't do that.

Screen's just black.

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 21 2017, 07:10 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

Is it still under warranty?

--------------------

pere_de_chipstic...
post Oct 21 2017, 08:27 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess Editor

Curious if that might just be a screen failure?

Can you connect it to an external display?

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 21 2017, 01:10 PM
Post#8

UA Admin

Along the same lines, if you can RDP to it, or connect to it from another computer and see the hard drive, you have an indication it's a display failure.

--------------------

Jaiket
post Oct 21 2017, 03:55 PM
Post#9

https://support.hp.com/sk-en/document/c03518165
This is actually for a black screen with a blinking cursor, but their are links to "No Boot" and "No Power".

A lot of laptops overheat because people block the fan vents by putting it on their knees or on soft material surfaces like beds. Usually the processor dies.
Did you drop it? Any odd behaviour before the failure? Did you update to Windows 10 (unlikely this is the cause because it powered up 1 in 20 times before).

Is it just the screen that is unresponsive, but you have signs of life (lights/noises)?

What do the leds tell you (power, hard disk)?.

Any fan or hard disk noises, heat coming from vents?

If you have no signs of life, you might try a different power cable.

If you have signs of life, try an external monitor, as pere_de_chipstick says.

You could also try with just one RAM stick. If the 16gb is in several modules, try them one by one, you might find one of the modules is dead.

--------------------
UA = Unsurpassable Assistance. Couldn't do it without you.

lkbree51
post Oct 21 2017, 10:45 PM
Post#10

Hello

What operating system are you using? ... iconfused.gif

Thanks ... Larry

duggie
post Oct 22 2017, 04:11 PM
Post#11

Never been dropped, not even taken it outdoors (I know, that defeats the objective of a laptop)!

Uses Windows 10, all bootup noises sound good, lights OK, no signal on external monitor, outside warranty.

Re the HP link, how can I download anything if the screen is black?????

Jaiket
post Oct 23 2017, 03:10 AM
Post#12

Something really important - have you backed up your data? Hard-disk failure (or impending failure) is one possible cause.
Whatever the cause may turn out to be, back up your data ASAP.
Take out the hard disk, put it in a box like a usb drive (probably only a few dollars or you may be able to borrow one). Plug it in to another computer (with up-to-date anti-virus/malware solutions) and make a copy of everything you may need. If you are still using a POP email, back up all your email, or it will be permanently lost. In some cases, even with IMAP mail you may lose your contacts, so back them up too. You could take the opportunity (after backing up your data) to check that the disk is free from errors.

"Originally, it powered OK, once in 20 attempts, so I assumed nothing was wrong with the hardware." - this suggests something gradually failing, hard disk, memory, processor, MB...

Have you tried a bootable CD/DVD? If the laptop boots up this way, I think it narrows you down to Bios/hard disk/memory issues.

To enter the bios, HP seem to use the escape key.

To answer your question - HP suggest the download for the case where you have a non-blinking cursor after updating Windows, which doesn't appear to be your case. Read down the page for other solutions or links - reset the bios, reseat the memory modules.. The I7 2D and 3D models have a specific combination of keys to reset the BIOS. Unfortunately HP presents the "guided solutions" troubleshooter to me in French, so I will let you find this combination.
When you did the hard reset (battery out + press power for 15secs) , you obviously unplugged the power cable?

They also suggest that dust build-up may be causing overheating, so you could also use an air-spray to clean any visible vents. I avoid vacuum cleaners - I (only once) saw this bend part of the fan. If there is a lot of dust flying, it may be worth opening up and dusting with a soft paintbrush, but this is a hellish operation - laptops are dreadful things to take apart and even worse to put back together.

Could be keyboard failure - try an external keyboard (you never know...)

There are ways to boot up using a tool on a CD or USB drive - back in the day "Hiren's Boot CD" helped me out sometimes.
I also remember a tool called "HDD regenerator" made by a Russian guy which sometimes managed to drag a hard disk back from the brink of death just long enough to back-up the data.

--------------------

duggie
post Oct 23 2017, 05:10 PM
Post#13

Thanks, will try your suggestions.

moke123
post Oct 23 2017, 05:44 PM
Post#14

Just to cover all the bases, Have you checked the brightness buttons you may have in the top row of keys?
I only mention it as last year someone in my office thought their screen died. After checking everything over, I just happened to
push the Brightness+ button and it came to life.

lkbree51
post Oct 23 2017, 10:42 PM
Post#15

Hello

Mine did the same thing right after a bunch of updates was installed and I wound up having to reinstall everything and I stayed with Windows 7.

Larry

Jaiket
post Nov 18 2017, 07:40 AM
Post#16

Hey, Duggie, did you get it to work?

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 12:32 AM