UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One Particularly Annoying Advertisement    

moke123
post Mar 11 2017, 09:50 AM
Post#1

I am curious if others are experiencing a recent advertisement that plays havoc with my browser and ability to post on the site.
The ad appears both on top and bottom panes, sometimes one or the other and sometimes on both top and bottom at the same time. The ad plays a video.
heres a screenshot...
Attached File  friggenAD.JPG ( 19.32K )Number of downloads: 9

if i am trying to post, this ad seems to grab the focus of my cursor out of the textbox so i'm typing and nothing gets written to the textbox. (because i have to look at the keyboard)
This ad also often makes my browser scroll back and forth from top to bottom repeatedly.

Luckily there is an X to close the ad but it is certainly a major P.I.T.A. and annoying.
It appears to only be just this one Ad that causes this behavior.

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this behavior?
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 11 2017, 10:01 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

The admin team is aware of the problems some ads cause. We're working to resolve it. Unfortunately, it's not necessarily an easy thing to address.

--------------------

moke123
post Mar 11 2017, 03:24 PM
Post#3

thanks George, at least i know its not just me.

There is an option to opt out from receiving ads from that certain provider but it has returned to haunt me after doing so.

ghubbell
post Mar 13 2017, 05:44 PM
Post#4

UA Administrator

Hi,
Apologies the ad is causing you grief. Why if I had the means we wouldn't have any at all as I too find ads of any sort quite obnoxious and have made some substantial effort to not be 'one of those' sites.

Our ads are served by Google and they do provide a means for us to 'blacklist' specific ads. If you could perhaps try to catch the domain or subject matter (whatever you can) to give me some info that I can use to track down the actual ad and get it on that list.

Best would be to send me a private message or just write to webmaster@... so no links or other info about the ad end up glued to our pages.

Thanks kindly,

Gord cheers.gif

tina t
post Mar 13 2017, 10:26 PM
Post#5

Gord, just want to say that i'm sure we all understand that these ads support UA's operation, and make it possible for everyone who comes here to benefit from the amazing free resources. a lot of sites would demand an annual membership fee, or some kind of user fee, and that would leave a lot of us poorer folk out in the cold. i'm very grateful that UA welcomes everyone with open arms, and that you and the other powers behind the curtains have so far found ways to manage to do that - thank you so much for all your efforts. tina

--------------------
"you can't take the sky from me"

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st October 2017 - 11:37 PM