UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strangevba Error Cannot Open Database, Access 2016    

MS123
post Oct 10 2017, 10:29 AM
Post#1

Hi I have an Access 2016 db ODBC linked to a SQL 2012 backend. Randomly (it seems) as I'm using it I will click on something (eg a form button) and it will popup the following error:

The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Cannot open database ''. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the fil may be corrupt.
* The expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure].
* There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro.

There's no pattern that I can see for which form or button I clicked prior to the error coming up.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

MS123
post Oct 10 2017, 09:12 PM
Post#2

Would anybody have any ideas? This database is used in a user environment and everybody is randomly getting it and it's affecting everyone's work. Each user has their own local copy of the db so it's not a sharing thing as far as I can see. The only slight pattern noticed is that when someone has been using the db, leaves to go do something for a while, comes back and anything at all they click on any form gives this error. Giving them a fresh copy of the db puts things back to normal for a while.
Don't understand why it says - Cannot open database '' - as only have a single database, there's no code to open any other db.

Thanks

gemmathehusky
post Oct 16 2017, 11:12 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Missing reference?

Are all users on A2016?
Do all users have their own copy of the front end?

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

MS123
post Oct 20 2017, 10:54 AM
Post#4

Hi yeah, all users on A2016 and all have their own copy of the front end.
Would the error message saying - Cannot open database '' - indicate something other than a missing reference? It seems to be trying to open some kind of database.

MS123
post Yesterday, 09:43 PM
Post#5

Would anyone have any more thoughts on this, it's hampering our work big time.
Many thanks

gemmathehusky
post Today, 05:22 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

The message itself would indicate a corrupt database, but missing references often manifest themselves in curious ways, and produce misleading errors of the sort you are seeing.
if they leave the PC and then it fails after a time, maybe it's a network connection issue. If the network connection drops while a user is away, then maybe that might manifest itself in strange ways.

Are you in a accdb or a accde?
If an accdb, then check the references, and try to compile the app.

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

MS123
post Today, 05:36 AM
Post#7

It's happening randomly and happening to random users, sometimes it's when a command button is clicked (any command button, any form, random), sometimes it's when the db has been idle, sometimes when viewing a report, sometimes when switching screens, I can't see any pattern.

The environment is a single server with multiple users connecting via remote desktop into their own remote desktops within the server.
They each receive their own copy of the ACCDE database when they log in.
Prior to putting any design changes live I compact/repair/compile the ACCDB, save as the ACCDE, then copy the ACCDE to central location where each user's login script copies it locally for them.

I had some success by recreating the ACCDB from scratch and importing all objects into it. Then putting it live as the ACCDE as usual. This lasted for 2 weeks without any errors then the errors started popping up more or less daily again.
If this is references-related - how would I know which references to add to test?

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd October 2017 - 09:04 PM