UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2016 Reading To Peachtree, Access 2016    

Mfcurt
post Nov 11 2017, 10:00 AM
Post#1

Hi there. I’ve built a (fairly unsophisticated, but functioning) access 16 dbase to manage the administration of my small insurance brokerage and I’m now trying to learn if it is possible to connect this to the company’s accounting software, Peachtree, in order for certain financial metrics to automatically populate Peachtree.

Currently, human process is slow and error prone.

Any pointers shall be gratefully received.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 11 2017, 10:56 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Welcome to UtterAccess.

Access is pretty good at connecting to disparate data sources, but whether Peachtree is one of them depends on what that software package exposes and how. Based on what I found on attempting get information from their website, it looks like Peachtree has been taken over by Sage. And, the only indication of how the data is stored is that "it is now based on SalesForce". If that's the case, it is likely to be difficult to get to the data, but there might be some way to do so.

I'd recommend contacting their support for more information on what can, and cannot, be done.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 11 2017, 11:00 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Further comments.

If there is a way to export and import data from and to a standard file format, such as CSV, or XML, then, yes, it can be used to move data back and forth from Access to your accounting package.

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Nov 11 2017, 12:01 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I have no firsthand experience, but it's a Sage product so I'd look for an SDK that you can use to interact with it.

This may be a starting point: https://sagecity.na.sage.com/support_commun...t-kit-sdk-forum

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

orange999
post Nov 11 2017, 01:11 PM
Post#5

Another link based on Google searching
https://www.sage.com/en-us/products/sage-50...g/microsoft365/

--------------------
Good luck with your project!

RJD
post Nov 11 2017, 01:41 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Hi: PMFJI. A number of years ago I built an interface for a client who was using Access with Peachtree, but that was before Sage took it over - and I believe changed Peachtree a good bit. But the direction of data travel was from Peachtree to Access, not the other way round. We then did analysis and reporting from the Access application, combining Peachtree data with Access application data not residing in Peachtree.

Have you considered using Access to house all the data, gathering any required additional data from Peachtree and folding it into Access? We found (in the case I mentioned above) that Access was where the power was to do the analysis and reporting we needed.

In those days I think the Peachtree files were dbf, and we made easy connections, but, as mentioned before by someone else, Peachtree should have an export capability to send records to CSV or some other appropriate format to be read by Access.

Just some thoughts ...

HTH
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

ridders
post Nov 11 2017, 02:32 PM
Post#7

Hi

I'd never heard of Peachtree nor SalesForce but if it is based on that, you're in luck as its just been added to A2016 as a new data connector.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Wh...Office_Insiders

--------------------
Colin

Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10, Website, email

Mfcurt
post Nov 11 2017, 02:44 PM
Post#8

Hi there. Many thanks for your collective responses - very informative and appreciated. Plenty for me to explore further.........

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 12 2017, 10:15 AM
Post#9

UA Admin

Salesforce is quite possibly the dominant force in CRM software, at least in the US.

Peachtree was, and still is now that is part of Sage, a significant player in the accounting software market, along with QuickBooks, again primarily in the US.

I understand that, in other countries, there will be other significant players in both markets.

Sage's acquisition of Peachtree and their subsequent adoption of Salesforce as somehow being the data store for it is significant in that it means getting data in and out of the Salesforce platform is not really as straightforward as it used to be, when Peachtree's data storage was based on the dbf format, to which Access can natively connect.

That said, there may be two paths to a solution, ETL using csv or similar files, and the Sage SDK which might support direct connectivity.

Note that, as ridders pointed out, A2016 -- in SOME versions -- does have a data connecter for SalesForce. That may well offer a path forward as well.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    24th November 2017 - 07:49 AM