UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Application Opening Speed, Access 2010    

SemiAuto40
post May 10 2018, 09:50 AM
Post#1

I have a frm_Main which has tabs and loads methods by a query when the form opens (of course). Frm_Main opens with its menu options and buttons after an initial login form. The problem seems to be how long it takes Access to build and fill the data on frm_Main and its tabs. Is there a way to have frm_main open, so that just the buttons and menu options are showing while the underlying data (which is taking too long) is loading? Maybe I can use a button somewhere on frm_Main which loads all of the underlying data OR have frm_Main open and the user not be aware that the underlying data is loading? I have a slow network!

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post May 10 2018, 09:58 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

One approach you could try is to leave the form unbound and then load the data using a timer event.

Hope it helps...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

SemiAuto40
post May 10 2018, 10:21 AM
Post#3

Do you mean the tabs and their underlying data to be unbound as well? Currently frm_Main opens and as you know all of the data on tabs or subforms has to fill in prior to the form actually displaying.

theDBguy
post May 10 2018, 10:21 AM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Sure. Try it. Let us know what happens.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

DanielPineault
post May 10 2018, 10:42 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

What I often do is use what is referred to as "dynamic loading" in which I'll leave the various tab subforms with no Source Object specified and use the tab On Change event to set the Source Object. This way the subforms don't load unless the user expressly needs that information.

Also, when it comes to speed, I always ask, do you establish a persistent connection at your application startup?

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

SemiAuto40
post May 10 2018, 12:05 PM
Post#6

Can a persistent connection be no more than an open record set based on a linked table - or is it necessary to have a form launched that is hidden?

tina t
post May 10 2018, 12:14 PM
Post#7

as you know all of the data on tabs or subforms has to fill in prior to the form actually displaying.

if i understand correctly, the Mainform has one or more tab controls, with one or more pages, and multiple pages hold one or more subforms. right so far?

here's what i do with tab controls and subforms. if i'm using the same size subform on more than one tab page, i don't put the any subform controls on the pages. what i do is put one subform control in the form's Detail section, "behind" the tab control. the subform control will "show through" all the tab pages. then i use code on the tab control's Change event, to load the appropriate subform into the subform control, depending on which tab is clicked.

my reasoning is simple. a user can only look at one tab page at a time. so why use multiple subform controls and load all the subforms when the mainform is opened? just use one subform control, and load the subform you need, when you need it.

if you need different sized subforms, and don't want to mess with changing the control sizing, etc, then use more subform controls - but, as others in the thread have already said, don't load the subform(s) until the user goes to that tab page.

hth
tina
This post has been edited by tina t: May 10 2018, 12:15 PM

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

AlbertKallal
post May 10 2018, 12:45 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Can a persistent connection be no more than an open record set based on a linked table - or is it necessary to have a form launched that is hidden?

The open recordset is fine.

So open reocrdset works just fine. However, that recordset needs to be global, or at the very least the form with that code has to remain open (and that means a module level record set var has to be created, - such a var can NOT be declared in the sub or function routine - this will NOT work (since the code to open the reocrdset will go out of scope when the routine "ends".

So you at the VERY min a module level declared recordset var (sub or function will not work).

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

SemiAuto40
post May 10 2018, 03:05 PM
Post#9

Thank you Sir for the clear explanation! hat_tip.gif

NeilT123
post May 14 2018, 10:12 AM
Post#10

I cheat! When the main form is opened the visible tab control loads but all of the others are based on dummy empty tables which are saved locally / are in the FE.

I then use a case statement in the on change of the tab control to change the record source of the required tab to the relevant query/table.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    22nd May 2018 - 11:55 PM