UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> .accde File Crashes For Users After Second Time, Access 2013    

komo
post Oct 11 2017, 01:35 PM
Post#1

Hello Everyone,

I have a database that is currently linked with tables (that I've created), other linked database tables (others created), linked sharepoint lists, linked excel sheet (on server).

I've split the database, and have made a copy of the front end as a .accde file.

I emailed the .accde file to various users and they were able to download into their local and open it the first time. However when they close it and re-open it from their local it crashes.

Odd thing is, sometimes it does work and will allow the users to reopen the file without crashing but it's random.

I - developer, am able to continuously access the file without any issues whatsoever.

What can be the issue?
How do I fix it?

Prior to converting to .accde I've:
-Compiled VBA - no issues
-repaired and compact - no issues for both back end and front end
Go to the top of the page

ranman256
post Oct 11 2017, 01:50 PM
Post#2

very odd.
Are they using full Access, or runtime?

give one of the crashers a .accdb,
see if THAT crashes.

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 12 2017, 09:43 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

The fact that it crashes as an accde, but only on second (or subsequent) attempts to open it. That suggests "something" in the accde is being reset during the initial run, perhaps.

To test that, you could have a trusted user repeat the process using an accdb.

that said, one of the main reasons this could happen would be an unhandled error. In an accde that is fatal, i.e. causes it to crash. So, make sure all of the VBA includes appropriate error handling.

I'm also wondering about the wide variety of linked files, and the possibility that one or more of them gets moved or altered between runs. Is that something that might happen?

--------------------

komo
post Oct 13 2017, 07:56 AM
Post#4

All users have Full Access.

I did try with a trusted user for the accdb front end version. It crashed the second time as well in addition, when they open it the first time to "Enable Content" it crashes as well.....

I am not very great at VBA to being with, is it possible for me to upload all of my vbas for you to review and provide detailed guidance?

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 13 2017, 08:14 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

Unfortunately, we're not equipped to provide that level of detailed consulting here in the forums.

You did mention that your user had to Enable Content to get it to run. This may well be part of the problem, although it is more likely to be coding.

So, why not ask your users to Trust the Location where your back end accdb/accde resides, as well as the location on their OWN computer from which they run your front end accdb/accde?

Attached File  TrustedLocations.png ( 47.89K )Number of downloads: 4

I have to assume that all of the VBA compiles because you are able to create the accde from it, but that doesn't eliminate possible errors that cause the crash.

That said, I'm more compelled by the fact that it crashes ONLY when they have opened and closed the accdb/accde and then reopened it. That suggests something is being changed internally on the initial run which causes a problem thereafter. There are probably a few things that could be involved, such as a form's recordset needing a value that is not supplied, and so on.

Do you have an autoexec macro? Do you use a splash form? Does code run when that splash form opens?

You could try disabling any autoexec macro and/or splash form start up code. See if that's giving rise to the error.

Also, try opening it while holding down the Shift key (keep it down the whole time it takes to start). See if it crashes then.

--------------------

komo
post Oct 13 2017, 09:17 AM
Post#6

disregard attach image for now. Running another test
This post has been edited by komo: Oct 13 2017, 09:21 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  issue.jpg ( 55.5K )Number of downloads: 4

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 13 2017, 09:24 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

It looks like more than one person is actually using the same Front End. If so, that's bad juju in all cases, and possibly the cause of the current problem.

Everyone should have a copy of the Front End on their OWN computer.

No one should ever use the "master" copy of the Front End on the network. Move it out of harm's way (both the accdb and the accde files). Give each user their very own copy to use, but only from their own computers.

See if that helps resolve this crashing problem. It's good practice to NOT let users share an FE in any case.

--------------------

komo
post Oct 13 2017, 10:05 AM
Post#8

Wait....so does that mean everyone should have their own copy of the Front end and back end copy (should the backend be hidden on the user's computer?)?

How will it all sync to the original one if they all update data? Sorry I'm just confuse on how this all works.

also, I made a mistake I was the one that opened the front end on the server, forgot to close it. So disregard image.

cheekybuddha
post Oct 13 2017, 10:42 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

One single backend on the server.

Individual copy of the frontend on each user's machines linked to backend on network.

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

komo
post Oct 13 2017, 12:13 PM
Post#10

okay that's what I did.......

as for the autoexec, I don't see it on any of the modules or class objects in the VBA....does that also count for the audit log that I've created that comes from the "DataMacro"?

There is a splash form that I've created that immediately has codes like:
basAudit
GetUserName
sai_DCont
SortFunction

I believe they all run when the database opens.........
This post has been edited by komo: Oct 13 2017, 12:24 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  modules.PNG ( 2.75K )Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  afterinsert.jpg ( 153.07K )Number of downloads: 1

komo
post Oct 13 2017, 12:18 PM
Post#11

Another thing....I tested it out on another user and had them set up the Trust, but it was giving them an error....even though they HAVE ACCESS to the folder in that server, they copied the file from the server to their local.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  trusterror.png ( 5.41K )Number of downloads: 2

komo
post Oct 13 2017, 01:07 PM
Post#12

UPDATE:

Okay so I tried the original FULL (prior to splitting) version that I created and the user was able to open and re-open the file without any issues!

Something may have occurred during the split that is causing all this issue. I am going to redo it next week and let you all know......

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 13 2017, 05:45 PM
Post#13

UA Admin

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd October 2017 - 07:20 PM