UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Future Of Access, Any Versions    

mbingle
post Aug 7 2017, 11:33 AM
Post#1

Hi,

I've been reading some internet info which says that Microsoft won't be supporting Access any longer and is replacing it with PowerApps. Do any of you have any insight into this?

Thanks,

Mike
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Aug 7 2017, 11:37 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Web Apps are dead and Microsoft is trying to replace them with PowerApps, but Access is alive and well (The Dev Team is hard at work). Nothing to worry about as for the desktop database.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

theDBguy
post Aug 7 2017, 11:37 AM
Post#3

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Mike,

Some links pointing to those information would be nice, so we can determine their source. As far as I know, it is not true. However, the information may have been mixed with the news regarding MS discontinuing support for Access Web Apps. They do recommend Access Web App developers to consider using PowerApps instead.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

nvogel
post Aug 7 2017, 12:14 PM
Post#4

mbingle, I don't think Microsoft have made any such announcement. Access Web Apps is being discontinued but the official end of mainstream support for Access 2016 is 2020 - by which time there will be a newer version around anyway.

PowerApps is an alternative to Access for many things, just as C# or Excel is an alternative for many things. You could choose PowerApps if you want to build web and mobile apps, and many people are already using other products to build web and mobile apps. I expect Microsoft will support Access for as long as they can see a sustainable market for it. The desktop application segment that Access occupies has been shrinking for years. It's a niche market, but there is still life in it and many people are very happy to continue that way. If you need browser and mobile experience support then of course you should look elsewhere.

This post has been edited by nvogel: Aug 7 2017, 12:15 PM

Jeff B.
post Aug 7 2017, 12:37 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

One more observation/opinion ...

I've been hearing "rumors" that Access is dead for, say, 10-15 years. Still seems to have a pulse ...

... and even if Microsoft decides to discontinue Access (hey, look what they did with FoxPro!), I'm pretty sure you can find a lot of folks here at UA who will keep on supporting it (note: hand raised).

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 7 2017, 01:58 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

I really wish people wouldn't try to conflate facts this way. So, please, if you must repeat rumors like that, include the link to the supposed article claiming to have something to say.

Access WEB APPS are indeed being "retired" and will no longer be available after "April, 2018". I take that to mean, April 1st not 31st, but that is still not actually clear. "Retired" is nice euphemism for "stuffing in a hole and covering it up". After a few failed attempts to put Access "in the cloud", though, Microsoft is returning to the strengths that made Access one of the most popular database development tools in the world.

In short, like everyone else said, Access is very much alive, very much viable, very much a part of Microsoft's plans for the next few years, at least.

PowerApps are an alternative for some of the things that AWAs did. They are not a replacement. One of the things that makes me chuckle, though, when I hear them touted as a potential replacement is that, although PowerApps can consume data from a wide variety of sources, including SQL Azure, Excel, even SharePoint lists, they CANNOT connect to Access accdbs. You could, of course, connect a PowerApp to a SQL Azure database, and connect an accdb to that same SQL Azure database, and have what amounts to a hybrid application with the heavy lifting being done with Access and the light-weight mobile extensions being done with PAs. In that scenario, one could potentially envision a path for both tools for quite a long future.

--------------------

nvogel
post Aug 7 2017, 02:41 PM
Post#7

George, Power Apps cannot connect to Access accdbs. Sure, but I can't imagine why anyone using Power Apps would miss accdbs. Many people using Access on the desktop don't use accdb databases and don't miss them either. Arguably one of the smartest things Microsoft could have done to enhance the appeal of Access would have been to drop the millstone of having to support the Jet/Ace engine and improve Access's integration with SQL Server instead.

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 7 2017, 03:45 PM
Post#8

UA Admin

Oh, I absolutely agree. I have only a couple of clients still working with accdb/accdb configurations. Everyone else is accdb/SQL server.

My point in bringing that up was mostly to note the irony of an "Access Web App replacement" that wouldn't involve Access in any way. Of course, other than the design shell, and perhaps some of the macro actions, AWAs were "Access" in name only already, so maybe it's not that big of deal. It just struck me as ironic when I first heard the suggestion.

If you visit UserVoice, you'll find that some of the most popular ideas being supported there involve Access/SQL Server integration. I have to think MS is taking all of this quite seriously for a change. I'm very encouraged, in fact, something I'd not been for a while.

--------------------

TheSmileyCoder
post Aug 8 2017, 01:51 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

I imagine that most people who use Access as professional developers use a SQL server backend. But if we want to argue numbers, then I imagine that 95% of access databases out there are based on access backends (or has no split backend). The combination of data layer and gui layer is what gives access the lowest learning curve of any product, and that is 1 of the 2 main factors in its success. The other main factor is the virtually "no limit" on what you can do with access(extensibility by code, and migration to "next step" SQL server). Access web apps managed to do the first part well (small learning curve, seemingly integrated db(was really azure, but that was hidden from the developer)) , but they never really managed to get the 2nd factor in play (extensibility).

Take away the access backends and I believe that you have started a rapid descent for access as a product, simply because many projects would never get started in access.

Not to mention, I have plenty of projects where I have a SQL backend, yet still use local tables for some stuff like settings, lookup, and work tables.

--------------------
TheSmileyCoder // Anders Ebro (Access MVP)

~~~~~~~~
Blog: www.TheSmileyCoder.com
YouTube Channel: TheSmileyCoder

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st November 2017 - 07:10 AM