UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Combos And Pushbuttons Embedded In The Rows Of A Listbox (?), Access 2016    

projecttoday
post Apr 16 2018, 11:40 AM
Post#21

UtterAccess VIP

I see. No problem.

Is it working now?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website
Go to the top of the page

pere_de_chipstic...
post Apr 16 2018, 11:46 AM
Post#22

UtterAccess Editor

Hi AvantGuy

Bernie, what tangled webs, eh. I see no need for MVF's in my app, but wouldn't dare question their usefulness in other contexts ...
MVFs were one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time; rather along the lines of a multi select list box where the selected values are automatically stored. The problem was in its implementation which is generally perceived to be pretty rubbish!

... my current neophyte status

That's where we all started!! big_grin.gif uarulez2.gif

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

Peter Hibbs
post Apr 16 2018, 01:01 PM
Post#23

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Bob,

"Peter, this example db seems exactly what I need. However, I'm running Access 2016 and there are problems. It seems to run properly in 2016 but all objects are locked -- I can't open anything in dev-mode. I can't export. When doing a Save As, I get "Could not use [file path]\List Box Alt.mdb; file already in use". It doesn't matter what I'm naming the target either. I'd like to look under the hood/bonnet!"

I am using A2013 so the icon names and menus may be slightly different for you.

I guess you mean that if you right click on a form, you don't get the menu which allows you to get into Design mode for the form. However, you should still be able to click on the View icon on the Home tab to do that. Alternatively, you can tick the Allow Default Shortcut Menus option on the File -> Options -> Current Database form which will enable the right click menu.

Not sure about the Save As option but I get the same error message if I try and save it as an .accdb type file but not if I save it as a .mdb file in another folder. I think you need to convert it to .accdb before you can save it in that format.

HTH

Peter.

AvantGuy
post Apr 16 2018, 01:11 PM
Post#24

Robert, I'm making good progress. Thanks for the followup. I have a continuous form as a subform. I need to format the subform differently it seems, because when I bump the nav control to advance to next record, the controls do update with correct values, but I don't get the rows/listbox effect. Getting close. --Bob

AvantGuy
post Apr 16 2018, 01:34 PM
Post#25

Peter, (my quote function is not active yet; too new here I guess)

I guess you mean that if you right click on a form, you don't get the menu which allows you to get into Design mode for the form.
Correct.

However, you should still be able to click on the View icon on the Home tab to do that.
No go - the View button is grayed out

Alternatively, you can tick the Allow Default Shortcut Menus option on the File -> Options -> Current Database form which will enable the right click menu.
Ah, there's a helpful gesture!

Not sure about the Save As option but I get the same error message if I try and save it as an .accdb type file but not if I save it as a .mdb file in another folder.
I still can't do any Save As, no matter what the target name or the target directory.

I think you need to convert it to .accdb before you can save it in that format.
According my research, A2016 cannot do the conversion. MS removed that feature after A2010 (IIRC).

Since I can now access the individual objects for copy and exports, etc, I'll try pasting them into a new db instance and see how that goes.

--Bob

AvantGuy
post Apr 16 2018, 03:06 PM
Post#26

Peter, I wrote:
Since I can now access the individual objects for copy and exports, etc, I'll try pasting them into a new db instance and see how that goes.

It went swimmingly. I seem to have successfully recreated your db within an A2016 blank project merely by pasting in all of your objects. Learned much already by examining your forms, temporarily repositioning objects in the detail section to see objects that overlay one another, dropping in a combo box in place of one of your column text objects, etc.

AvantGuy
post Apr 16 2018, 03:08 PM
Post#27

"That's where we all started!!"

...and where some of us remain !
This post has been edited by AvantGuy: Apr 16 2018, 03:10 PM

tina t
post Apr 16 2018, 06:12 PM
Post#28

I think you need to convert it to .accdb before you can save it in that format.
According my research, A2016 cannot do the conversion. MS removed that feature after A2010 (IIRC).

according to A2016 Help, you can convert an A2000-03 .mdb to .accdb format using A2016. if you have an A97 .mdb, you can use A2007 or A2010 to convert to .accdb format; or you can use A2003 to convert the A97 .mdb to A2003 .mdb, and then convert the A2003 .mdb to .accdb format using A2016.

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

AvantGuy
post Apr 19 2018, 10:11 AM
Post#29

...speaking of tangled webs we weave. Thanks Tina. So many permutations to keep track of :--)

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th August 2018 - 08:52 PM