UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Exactly Happens To Access Web Databases In April, Access 2010 Web    

PDTech
post Feb 7 2018, 03:37 AM
Post#1

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows exactly how the switch off of the older Access Web Databases (list based) is being handled?

I want to know if it will still be possible to access the data in the lists or will the entire subsite be locked/removed?

I want to move a client to a standard subsite for their lists (FE is all Access desktop anyway) but we are awaiting approval from their IT department and I'd like to know what happens if that does not come in time for the cut off...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 7 2018, 06:39 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

First, this applies only to Office 365, but not to on-premises SharePoint sites.

You should plan for the removal of your AWAs on or before March 31.

The advisory is “...by April, 2018.”

You should not expect to be able to reach the data after it is removed from their servers, and that is going to happen on or before March 31, 2018.

You might want to contact Microsoft if you have any concerns over being able to rescue your data.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Feb 7 2018, 01:03 PM

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 7 2018, 06:40 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Migrate the data. Do that before the cut off.

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Feb 8 2018, 02:01 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

George is right. At the very least, make a backup copy even if your client isn't immediately ready to proceed.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

PDTech
post Feb 8 2018, 10:04 PM
Post#5

Thanks for that, yes, should have specified this is O365 and not on-premises for clarity.

I'll try to push for the IT department approval but they work to their own schedule! The system is in daily use so will need to get users making regular backups if this drags on into March.

It would make sense for MS to make sites/DBs read-only for a while before deleting them completely, but just because that makes sense, doesn't mean it is what they'll do smile.gif

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Feb 9 2018, 08:23 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Paul,

They did give a year's warning (‎03-27-2017).

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Offi...dmap/ba-p/57148

People started migrating away long ago. Your client has no one to blame but themselves at this point (and perhaps their IT dept.). Once the switch is flipped, I suspect their IT dept. may take things more seriously. crazy.gif

Good luck though. You can't force their IT dept. to be responsive. I'd forward them the link to the Microsoft announcement, assuming you haven't already done so, so they can ever say it's just your word. Do your best to get some backups (especially closer to the deadline). That's all you can do. Deep breaths, patience are called for in these instances.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 9 2018, 09:02 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

Daniel's right.

I've been helping clients move their data since last November. My AWA on line user group has had monthly meetings presenting alternatives to AWA's for the last 9 or 10 months.

And every AWA displays a banner across the top stating that they will be removed. That banner has been there since shortly after the announcement of the termination.

In other words, the old saying applies: Lack of planning on their part doesn't constitute an emergency on your part.

--------------------

PDTech
post Feb 23 2018, 01:42 AM
Post#8

Thanks George and Daniel

I have seen some of the presentations on alternatives. Interesting stuff.

To be fair to the end users, they only interact with the database via the desktop Access frontend, so never see the warnings.

As the front-end to this application is Access Desktop (which also runs all the queries as I found the AWA queries performed no better and had many restrictions) the interim solution will be to move to normal SharePoint lists - we lose some functionality provided by Data Macros (locking records from further edits once a certain 'status' is applied) but we'll just have to work around that for a while.

I wanted to move the backend to Azure SQL DB (rewrite the queries in T-SQL for a performance boost and implement the Data Macro as a trigger but leave the forms/reports largely as-is) but the company is now standardizing on salesforce.com as platform so I may have an opportunity to try to recreate the system in that environment. I don't think there's been a presentation on salesforce in the online user group - if the project goes ahead perhaps I'll offer to present a session on how I get on smile.gif

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 23 2018, 09:19 AM
Post#9

UA Admin

"To be fair to the end users, they only interact with the database via the desktop Access frontend, so never see the warnings."

Good point.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 23 2018, 09:22 AM
Post#10

UA Admin

Sorry, but I don't consider SalesForce to be a viable alternative to AWAs.

Obviously, it is a powerful, highly successful platform. On the other hand, once you migrate to it, your path back is closed, as I understand it. Getting data back out of it might be a bit of a challenge.

Also, as I understand it, SalesForce is aimed at a particular type of application, i.e. Contact Management. So it's hard to see it as an alternative, for example, to an application tracking production or delivery, etc.

--------------------

PDTech
post Feb 23 2018, 10:28 AM
Post#11

I'm completely new to salesforce - have never used it or even seen it used. I don't think it has much traction in the UK and Middle-East where I've worked.

I was surprised when I was told it was the standard for new applications at this company. I'm trying to keep an open mind at this point but I confess I am somewhat skeptical.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th July 2018 - 02:34 AM