UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access Services Read Only Message, Access 2013 Web App    

johnpdmccall
post Apr 18 2017, 12:50 PM
Post#1

Hi Folks,

I've got a few urgent problems with some business critical Access Web Apps and Hybrids (AWA with ACCDB front end ) on Office 365

In my Access Web Apps I'm getting the error below when trying to edit and save anything:
Attached File  AccessServicesReadOnlyErr.JPG ( 25.68K )Number of downloads: 4

I get the same error if I open the accdw to customise in Access: It opens fine but if I open a table and try to edit any field the same message appears.

Also get an ODBC connection failure if I open the front end Access database that is connected to the AWA.

This is happening with all AWA's that I've built. All were working fine until this morning frown.gif

Grateful for any help. I'm already trying to get help from the O365 support folks but no joy so far

--------------------
Cheers,
John
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 18 2017, 01:07 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

If you can get to the O365 site where these AWAs exist, check the server health under your admin pages for problems.

--------------------

johnpdmccall
post Apr 18 2017, 01:12 PM
Post#3

I'm getting this George:

Attached File  ServiceHealth.JPG ( 37.16K )Number of downloads: 11

I'm not using Project Online
This post has been edited by johnpdmccall: Apr 18 2017, 01:30 PM

--------------------
Cheers,
John

johnpdmccall
post Apr 18 2017, 01:32 PM
Post#4

I can't connect to any data on sharepoint lists (Access 2010 web app / accdb front end)
This post has been edited by johnpdmccall: Apr 18 2017, 01:33 PM

--------------------
Cheers,
John

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 18 2017, 03:05 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

That indicates some sort of issue with SP in your region. I have the same status, but my AWAs seem to be okay.

--------------------

johnpdmccall
post Apr 18 2017, 05:28 PM
Post#6

Hi George

You are correct! - I just got off the phone to Microsoft who say they've been having issues which they're getting fixed asap.
My next step is to get my AWA's moved to SQL Azure, or SharePoint lists or maybe to Rob's company set up if they come up with a reasonably affordable solution.

--------------------
Cheers,
John

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 18 2017, 05:38 PM
Post#7

UA Admin

1) Migrating to SQL Azure is easy-peazy. But then the interface has to be redone for browser-based interfaces.
Of course, for accdb-based interfaces it's a matter or relinking your tables once they're moved.

2) SharePoint lists may or may not be a feasible alternative. If you have large numbers of records in your current tables, they might not migrate too well to SP lists, but they will support accdb-based interfaces.

3) That would be cool.

--------------------

johnpdmccall
post Apr 19 2017, 04:03 AM
Post#8

Thanks George, that info is very useful. I'd already played about with exporting to sharepoint lists but had no idea about depac.
Incidentally Microsoft is still working on the original problem and I have some very unhappy users. So I think SQL Azure it has to be!

--------------------
Cheers,
John

RobKoelmans
post Apr 19 2017, 08:54 AM
Post#9

Hi John,
Do you have both Access 2010 web pages as AWA's? We haven't considered support of Access 2010 database apps and it's not likely that we will, unless it'll appear to be completely trivial.
Rob.

johnpdmccall
post Apr 19 2017, 12:14 PM
Post#10

Yes Rob but we're not going to support them either in future as mostly our customers don't use the web interface very much.

--------------------
Cheers,
John

johnpdmccall
post Apr 21 2017, 08:07 AM
Post#11

OK just for info:
Microsoft still have not solved the problem, whatever it is!!! pullhair.gif

So I've worked around it by starting another Office 365 account and have moved the data to there by:

1. Localised the data in each of my connected accdbs (the data was read only on the server but localised happily enough)
2, Created some empty Access Web Apps
3. Imported the tables from my localised accdbs
4. Connected the old access database to the data on the Access Web Apps using a .dsn containing the connection information for the apps

This was very quick and easy - it's a pity Microsoft can't provide a similar easy way of getting data onto a SQL database on Azure- because I'm trying to get my head around importing to a SQL database on Azure and it seems much more difficult. In fact one set of data which imported very easily into an AWA has proved very difficult to import or export to SQL on Azure.

--------------------
Cheers,
John

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 21 2017, 09:33 AM
Post#12

UA Admin

Check out my blog article on migrating data from an AWA to SQL Azure with a dacpac.

--------------------

johnpdmccall
post Apr 21 2017, 10:29 AM
Post#13

Good one thanks George.

--------------------
Cheers,
John

RobKoelmans
post Apr 26 2017, 04:07 AM
Post#14

Great one, George. Especially the dacpac option. This would also be an option for us to On premises migrate from SQL-Server 2014RTM to SQL-Server2016 (which is much faster). And perhaps to SQL-Server Express for better pricing. For that we would have to create a AWA .App file with the a new dacpac. Do you have any ideas on that? We did some experiments in the past, but they all resulted in incorrect checksums a.t.l.
Rob
This post has been edited by RobKoelmans: Apr 26 2017, 04:09 AM

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 26 2017, 06:54 AM
Post#15

UA Admin

In my relatively little experience, I've never seen that particular problem, Rob.

I think, though, if you have an on-premises SQL Server instance with your AWAs' dbs on it, you should be able to create the dacpac there.

--------------------

RobKoelmans
post Apr 26 2017, 08:26 AM
Post#16

Yes, I can create the DacPac. But how will I get the new DacPac in the .App file (so that the .App can be imported again into a SharePoint that has the other database (version) configured in its Access 2013 Web Service? At the moment we had to install and use a SQL2014RTM version which is the same as being used by Office365. Otherwise an Office365 exported App will not import due to referencing a different database type in the manifest-file. Perhaps you know a way of modifying the unzipped App with the other DacPac and still get it accepted for import by SharePoint.
This post has been edited by RobKoelmans: Apr 26 2017, 08:28 AM

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 26 2017, 08:37 AM
Post#17

UA Admin

Sorry, that's a step beyond my experience.

That said, you could try opening the .app package and replacing the dacpac in it with the new one from your other SS instance. I'm afraid there may be problems with GUIDs doing that, but it's worth a try, I would think. It would have to have the same name, but internally it might have other identifiers that wouldn't line up correctly.

I know that we did that with the image file to create a custom AWA image, but the bitmap has nothing special about it except that it needs to have the same name as the original.

--------------------

RobKoelmans
post Apr 26 2017, 09:40 AM
Post#18

What we tried in the past, all gave issues. But we'll try exactly this with the DacPac and perhaps we get lucky.
Thanks again for your very useful blogpost. That was probably a lot more than a couple of hours of work.

GroverParkGeorge
post Apr 26 2017, 09:49 AM
Post#19

UA Admin

It's an important subject, so yes, it takes some work.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd October 2017 - 03:13 AM