UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reserved Error (-7711); There Is No Message For This Error Upon Entering A Record In The Form, Access 2013    

Leah
post Feb 14 2018, 12:23 PM
Post#1

The user is getting Reserved error (-7711); there is no message for this error upon trying to enter a record in the form. I was able to diagnose what was causing the error, he was trying to enter a duplicate row. The unique index has a number of fields. I figured it out because I made a typo in a field that is part of the index when I tried to replicate the error and then when I tried to fix it and save the record I got the error. That message is not very helpful.

Is there something I can do to fix the table or tables so that the system would give the dup message instead?

Is there a way that I can get a message to advise that it is a duplicate before he enters a bunch of stuff?

Rather not share the database as creating a dummy version is rather a pain.

Thanks

Leah

--------------------
Leah A. Kopel
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Feb 14 2018, 01:02 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Leah,

Without seeing your actual setup, I can only offer general suggestions.

To catch validation errors such as when preventing duplicate records, it is often best to use the BeforeUpdate event.

Hope it helps...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Leah
post Feb 15 2018, 11:41 AM
Post#3

Sounds good. Is there a way to see if a record would be a duplicate before the record is saved or the change is saved?

Leah

--------------------
Leah A. Kopel

theDBguy
post Feb 15 2018, 11:50 AM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Yes. If you use the BeforeUpdate event, you can validate the entry to prevent a duplicate record before it is committed into the table (saved). The BeforeUpdate event includes a Cancel argument, which you can use to stop Access from saving an invalid record.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

projecttoday
post Feb 15 2018, 11:52 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

You can use the Dcount function to look for records in the table that meet the condition. If Dcount > 0 then cancel the update.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st May 2018 - 12:23 AM