UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trusted Certificate, Office 2013    

bakersburg9
post Feb 14 2018, 06:19 PM
Post#1

This has to do with a question I have asked and been unable to solve - I'm trying to run a macro in outlook - I've found quite a bit of help online, as far as creating a signed cert, and I know I'm doing everything right - but it STILL says : macros are disabled - all the documentation online says basically the same thing, BU-U-U-T... I found the attached - it talks about adding a trusted publisher - the attached screen show shows the example on line, and what I see - does it have to be from "Microsoft Corporation" ? Is that why it still isn't working ?

please see attached.... any help would be greatly appreciated . . .
Attached File(s)
Attached File  TrustedPub3.png ( 158.74K )Number of downloads: 4

Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 14 2018, 06:37 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

I'm confused here.

You say the actual error message is "Macros are disabled...", but that's not the same as having a Trusted Publish and signed certificates.

Access:

Attached File  MacrosEnabled.jpg ( 78.22K )Number of downloads: 0

Outlook:

Attached File  MacrosEnabledOutlook.jpg ( 86.54K )Number of downloads: 2

This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Feb 14 2018, 06:40 PM
Reason for edit: Outlook?

bakersburg9
post Feb 14 2018, 07:01 PM
Post#3

George,
Sorry - yes, I'm confused too - I just want this to work - when I try to run my macro, I get that message - but I've jumped through every hoop possible - I found on another site where macros could be disabled because the screen freezes ? Never heard of that before - and my screen did freeze several times.... I've spent hours researching this, and the only satisfaction I get is it seems to be a somewhat common issue - maybe it's some type of bug ? Someone also said someone who experiences this might have some corruption issue - it's weird ... I'm going nuts with this....

Steve

JonSmith
post Feb 15 2018, 06:56 AM
Post#4

Yeah, if I recall certificates are a waste of time. If anyone could make the certificates so easily they'd be pointless anyway so the only certificates you can make work only on your machine unless MS gives it you. (Thats what I remember. Dont quote me).
You are far far better off working on trusted locations and trusted documents.

bakersburg9
post Feb 15 2018, 11:04 AM
Post#5

Jon,
You are far far better off working on trusted locations and trusted documents.
can you expound just a little ? Just enough to start me down the right path ? I've jumped through all the hoops the documentation says to, and no luck - very frustrating...
Steve

theDBguy
post Feb 15 2018, 11:09 AM
Post#6

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Steve,

Can you explain your reasoning for looking into Trusted Certificates in the first place? Are you trying to sell your software?

bakersburg9
post Feb 15 2018, 12:17 PM
Post#7

DbGuy,
No, over the years, I've ran macros with great success in MSO - at my contract job, working for a very large, well-known communications company, I get a TON of e-mails with excel attachments - often there are reconcilement issues where it would save a ton of time if I set up folders and had all these excel files go to their respective folder - this is something I've done a lot in the past - what's great is there's somewhat of an 'audit trail,' because windows adds to the body of the e-mail where the attachment (excel file in this case) was moved to - I get e-mails from a number of people for the same business partner ( I work in business partner relations ) - but the excel files have a consistent naming convention based on the business partner. So, super easy to find the company and the date, instead of : "is it from John at ABC company, or Jessica at ABC Company, or Vivian at ABC company?" - instead, I just look in my sub folder: "DAILY_REPORTS_FROM_ABC_COMPANY," where there would be excel files with the same naming convention, and I could immediately find the file (Excel Workbook) I'm looking for.

So I set up the folders, and did a test - it worked. I wasn't a bit surprised, because I've worked extensively with macros - in Word, Access, Excel, and Outlook. But the next time, it wouldn't run - and hundreds of tries since - sometimes, just nothing happens - I get this bleepity-bleep message that says:
The macros in this project have been disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros
... when I looked for a solution on line, there were several suggestions, one was to digitally sign the macro - it showed how to do it, and I did it - the instructions were easy, and I'm sure I did it right.

I changed the macro settings

I heard my system might be corrupted, so I did a repair - I've tried EVERYTHING !!!!!!!! grrr..... the one good thing is, I've learned a lot cool.gif

Basically, unless you have the silver bullet, and can share, I've tried it

Thanks for your input!
Steve

theDBguy
post Feb 15 2018, 12:24 PM
Post#8

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. As you may know, I work primarily with Access files, so I can't say I have run into the same issues you're having with your Excel files. Would you mind posting a simple macro-enabled Excel file so I can test if I will get the same warning as you? Thanks.

bakersburg9
post Feb 15 2018, 05:21 PM
Post#9

I will in a bit - strange thing is my problem seems to have FINALLY gone away, but now it errs on:

For i = 1 To myAttachments.Count

CODE
'Declaration
    Dim myItems, myItem, myAttachments, myAttachment As Object
    Dim myOrt As String
    Dim myOlApp As New Outlook.Application
    Dim myOlExp As Outlook.Explorer
    Dim myOlSel As Outlook.Selection

'Ask for destination folder

myOrt = InputBox("Destination", "Save Attachemnts", "\\corp.MyCompany.com\west\_Legacy\LOSBOHSFILE01\BC\StevesReports\WallfishTrackersReceived\MC\")

On Error Resume Next

'work on selected items
    Set myOlExp = myOlApp.ActiveExplorer
    Set myOlSel = myOlExp.Selection

'for all items do...
    For Each myItem In myOlSel

'point on attachments
        Set myAttachments = myItem.Attachments

'if there are some...
        If myAttachments.Count > 0 Then

'add remark to message text
            myItem.Body = myItem.Body & vbCrLf & _
                "Removed Attachments:" & vbCrLf

'for all attachments do...
            For i = 1 To myAttachments.Count

'save them to destination
                myAttachments(i).SaveAsFile myOrt & _
                    myAttachments(i).DisplayName

'add name and destination to message text
                myItem.Body = myItem.Body & _
                    "File: " & myOrt & _
                    myAttachments(i).DisplayName & vbCrLf

Next i

'for all attachments do...
            While myAttachments.Count > 0

Wend

'save item without attachments
            myItem.Save
        End If

Next

'free variables
    Set myItems = Nothing
    Set myItem = Nothing
    Set myAttachments = Nothing
    Set myAttachment = Nothing
    Set myOlApp = Nothing
    Set myOlExp = Nothing
    Set myOlSel = Nothing

EDIT: error is variable not defined - what's weird is this doesn't REMOVE the attachment, which is what I'd prefer
This post has been edited by bakersburg9: Feb 15 2018, 05:24 PM

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th November 2018 - 04:32 AM