UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Close Button Of Query Not Available, 2003    

youngb
post Sep 6 2017, 05:13 AM
Post#1

Hi,

I am getting a strange problem where the close button for all the queries in the application has gone missing,
the users are using Access 2003 runtime and it just seem to start after a windows update,
they are still using Access 2003 after the update.
has anybody else come across this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards
Brian
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 6 2017, 05:35 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

This is the first I've heard of it.

Which version of Windows does your organization have installed?

To be clear, your users are opening raw queries directly? And this button is not there?
Attached File  MissingclosebuttonA2003.png ( 8.61K )Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Sep 6 2017, 05:38 AM

--------------------

youngb
post Sep 6 2017, 06:02 AM
Post#3

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,
to be more clear what is happening is the complete top title bar is missing with the 'Query1:Select Query' and Min/Max button is also missing, so the user has no way of closing except by using the top close button which shuts down the complete application.

See attached jpeg.

Brian
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Missing_Close_Button.jpg ( 291.91K )Number of downloads: 10

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 6 2017, 06:49 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Hm. I see the relevant minimize/maximize/close buttons circled in red in your screenshot. Are you saying that closes the entire mdb? What about the actual Access close button, the red one at the top? Doesn't THAT one close Access?

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 6 2017, 06:51 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

To be honest, I almost never use A2003 anymore and never use A2003 runtime. I'm sure there are differences between full Access and runtime, but that's not one I would expect.

Interesting to know how you are actually opening this query. Is it done via VBA, or do your users get to open it directly?

--------------------

youngb
post Sep 6 2017, 08:21 AM
Post#6

Yes I know 2003 is now getting old and I am going to have to upgrade to 2016 runtime but with 32 users and a few small quirky problems that crop up that I have to fix it will take time,
I open the query wusing VBA, the screen shot I send you was to show you the part that is missing, I will send you a screen shot of the actually problem later on today, when I am back on site with the client.
It is a very strange in the just started happened recently only happens with 5 pc's out of 32 and when I roll back to a older version of my own application it doesn't happen, so something has change both with the pc's and the application, it is a large application with over 1100 queries and 200 forms, so it will not be easy to roll back,

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 6 2017, 08:47 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

I'm not sure what is really happening then.

"...the screen shot I send you was to show you the part that is missing..." Your screenshot DOES show the three buttons for minimize/maximize/close, so I'm assuming that you mean those buttons do NOT show up for other users, although YOUR instance DOES show them. Is that correct?

Perhaps the problem is that the main form is bound and that means the master/linking fields will filter the subform to the currently selected record in the main form.

Put the code I offered in the Load event of that main form; does that resolve the problem?

--------------------

youngb
post Sep 8 2017, 05:11 AM
Post#8

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

apologies for the slow reply, was working elsewhere for the day, I see what you are saying but I don't think it is anything to do with the VB code on the load of the forms as it is happening across all the application on both forms and queries, I think it is to do more with the menu's see the two attached jpeg which shows only one title bar visible even thought there should be two,
and when I installed a full version of Access 03 the problem disappeared.

Brian

Attached File(s)
Attached File  No_Close_Button.jpg ( 423.54K )Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  No_Close_Button2.jpg ( 651.53K )Number of downloads: 5

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 8 2017, 07:44 AM
Post#9

UA Admin

It is probably related to the fact that your users have only the Access runtime, whereas you are using full Access to develop.

Perhaps there was a change introduced by a recent Office or Windows update; it would not be the first time that's happened smirk.gif .

Therefore, I'm going to punt and see if anyone over in Redmond has any insights.

--------------------

RAZMaddaz
post Sep 8 2017, 08:00 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

PMFJI.....

Might you actually be opening a Form in Datasheet View?

If so, that is when in the Properties you can disable the "Control Box," which will get rid of the Max/Min Buttons.

RAZMaddaz

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 8 2017, 08:26 AM
Post#11

UA Admin

Okay, another question. Are you applying your own custom menus to objects (forms and queries) in this mdb?

--------------------

youngb
post Sep 8 2017, 09:55 AM
Post#12

Hi Grover,

yes I think you are right on both counts,

it did start on a Windows/Office update and
it has something to do with me having custom menu's,
even with the full version of access I had to switch off the custom menu and return to the default menu to get it working correctly,
the custom menu had been working fine before the update.

Regards
Brian

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 8 2017, 11:29 AM
Post#13

UA Admin

Thanks for clarifying the exact environment and circumstances. That always helps diagnose problems.

George

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 8 2017, 08:37 PM
Post#14

UA Admin

Unfortunately, while it is possible that this menu problem in Access 2003 does result from a change in the Windows environment introduced by an update, Office 2003 has been out of support for several years. That means no resources are available within Microsoft to address such potential problems that come up retaining older applications--such as Office 2003.

Perhaps someone can come up with a work around for your situation. If you'd like to upload a copy of this mdb, containing just enough sample data to see how it works, others could potentially look into that possibility.

--------------------

youngb
post Sep 11 2017, 02:40 AM
Post#15

Hi George,

Thanks again for all the input, I have fixed the problem by removing the custom menu going back to the default menu's,
it is a strange one but you are right on the point of Office 2003 is by this stage getting very old and out of support, so the long term fix is that I upgrade to 2013 or later and fix the one/two problems that I know there.
Any suggestions should I go to 2013 or 2016 runtime, any significant difference beside 2016 is three years later.

Brian

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 11 2017, 07:17 AM
Post#16

UA Admin

Yes, it's true that being out of support means Microsoft can no longer address regressions in Office 2003 introduced by recent Windows Updates, although in other ways, 2003 applications can continue to work.

I would consider moving up to Access 2016 as the differences between 2013 and 2016 are relatively minor.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th October 2017 - 06:16 AM