UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Want To Deploy To Users And Design, Access 2016    

cpsmith58
post Mar 15 2017, 11:22 AM
Post#1

Is there a smart way around this? My .accdb sits on a local network share and users touch it via runtime. I bang away in my office on the interface. Access hates this, obviously. Others having the .accdb open precludes me from designing, I get that.

So could they work on MyDb_v1 and save their data and tell me what they hate about my forms/user interface and I edit/design in MyDb_v2. Then, in the morning (I get here an hour before everyone else), I come in and import all their data from v1 into my v2, rename my v2 to v1 so they see my changes and then save the new and improved v1 to v2 so I can start banging on what is actually v3? Rinse and repeat?

Basically, how to do I import their data into my improved interface, i.e, get data from one .accdb into the 'same' table in another .accdb? Ideally this would slick or macros or something so I wouldn't spend 2 hours banging on the import every morning. Obviously, this all falls apart if I am making table structure changes, but I think I am past that.

THANKS!

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Mar 15 2017, 11:23 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

It would be simpler if you could use something like this: Sharing a database

Just my 2 cents..

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 15 2017, 11:46 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

This sounds like you have an unsplit accdb. All of the tables and all of the interface elements are in one file. Is that right?

If so, you have a couple of problems on your hands. One, you already are dealing with: managing the update process.

The other is looming: Corruption and loss of data.

The approach you need to take is to split this accdb into two files. The Front End (or FE) contains only the interface element. The Back End (or BE) contains only the tables with the data.

The FE is linked to the tables in the BE.

Each user gets their own, separate copy of the FE on their own computer. Only one copy of the BE is in use at any point in time.

When you modify the master copy of the FE -- which only you can get to -- you create a production copy of it to deploy to each user.

--------------------

cpsmith58
post Mar 15 2017, 12:45 PM
Post#4

Oh wow, this looks slick and very cool. Well, there goes my afternoon. In a good way, thanks to both of you!

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 15 2017, 12:49 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

Post back with any additional questions or concerns. And in future, when people refer to "FE" and "BE", you'll know what they mean. thumbup.gif With very very few exceptions, all Access applications need to be split.

--------------------

cpsmith58
post Mar 15 2017, 12:51 PM
Post#6

I'd like to learn more about corruption and why splitting the 2 into FE/BE makes this better?

cpsmith58
post Mar 15 2017, 01:03 PM
Post#7

George,

I saw it and it took a bit. I have seen apps deploy in multiple layers before (2, SQL Server BE, VB.Net FE) and (3, SQL Server BE, App Server middleware and C# FE). Didn't comprehend that you could have a FE and BE in an .accdb. Very cool, will be proceeding in this direction ASAP!

Thanks, to all, woo hoo!
This post has been edited by cpsmith58: Mar 15 2017, 01:04 PM

theDBguy
post Mar 15 2017, 01:05 PM
Post#8

Hi,

Glad we could assist. Good luck with your project.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 15 2017, 01:07 PM
Post#9

UA Admin

The chances of having things go wrong are increased by having two or more people working in the unified accdb.

--------------------

cpsmith58
post Mar 16 2017, 09:55 AM
Post#10

Well, my plan for using the run time didn't work, because it doesn't play nice with Office 365. Note, it croaked on 64 bit as displayed, so I tried the 32 bit. Same error basically. Luckily, the users all have full fledged Access on their machines due to an E3 Office 365 subscription. So I just made my front end file XXX.FE.accdr and it works fine.

It gets the annoying Security Notice warning, which I have seen numerous posts about and will research.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  ART_64_won_t_work.png ( 9.29K )Number of downloads: 3
Attached File  21.png ( 8.77K )Number of downloads: 0

theDBguy
post Mar 16 2017, 12:53 PM
Post#11

Hi,

Have you tried storing the file in a Trusted Location?

Just a thought...

--------------------

cpsmith58
post Mar 16 2017, 04:27 PM
Post#12

I think I am doing it wrong. I put the FE on a share because I am lazy. It runs fine once you get past the warning prompt, but obviously, that's unattractive. Right now, I have the FE and BE in the same folder on a network share. I tried making that share a trusted location, but Access was unhappy with that.

I think this is the part where you call me a fool and tell me to put the FE on the local user's PC like the Wiki said and all my problems (with this issue, let's not get carried away) will be solved.

I can give it a whirl tomorrow. My users have bailed and taken their laptops with them.

Thanks for the help, you all have been wonderful!

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st November 2017 - 07:09 AM