UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Applicants And Employees, Access 2010    

winterolympic
post Mar 20 2017, 11:29 AM
Post#1

I need some advise to set up tables.
I am going to make Applicants table.
In this table, I will put all information about applicants, like name , address, contact, documents submitted, and so on.
When I decide to hire an applicant, I want to populate an applicant information that I already entered, into Employees table.

In the Employees table, I will have the same information as Applicants table, and I will have some more columns in this Employees table.

Here is the question.
I am not sure whether I can use one big employees table for both Applicants and Employees, or one table for applicants, and then move this record to Employees table, using update Query and append records.
And delete records that I move to Employees table, in Applicants table.

Thanks in advance.

Go to the top of the page

mike60smart
post Mar 20 2017, 11:33 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Hi

I would recommend 1 table named tblPeople and have a field named PeopleType which allows you to choose either "Applicant" or "Employee"

--------------------
Hope this helps?

Mike

Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.

winterolympic
post Mar 20 2017, 11:39 AM
Post#3

Oh, thanks!
That is good idea.

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 20 2017, 11:40 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

I would probably retain both tables. However, you do NOT need to copy anything from Applicants to Employees. And I would probably start with a different name than "Applicants" for the original table since it's going to include anyone for whom you've captured demographic information. Let's call it "Individual".

So, everyone for whom you want to track information goes into the Individual table. If they become an applicant, perhaps you can have a separate "applications" table. I would, in fact, probably do that because a person might apply more than one time, I would assume. And, if they become an employee, you will have a separate Employee table.

Only the Foreign Key for that individual needs to included in a record in either the Applications table or the Employee table. And that can be handled very well with a main form/sub form design for data entry.

--------------------

Larry Larsen
post Mar 20 2017, 11:46 AM
Post#5

UA Editor + Utterly Certified

Hi
Just to add to Mike's suggestion I would also create a table called "tblPeopleType" that holds those two desciptions and has a PK assigned to each..

eg:
tblPeopleType
PeopleTypeID Autonumber (pk)
PeopleTypetxt - Text (Applicant / Employee)

tblPeople
PeopleID Autonumber (pk)
PeopleTypeID Number (fk) (foreign key)
Other details about people.....

HTH's
thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Time...We have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein"
H. Jackson Brown

winterolympic
post Mar 20 2017, 11:49 AM
Post#6

This is good idea too. iconfused.gif
Because, Employees table will have more columns than Applicants table.
After hired, I guess I need more information than applicants, so if I have one big Employees table, then I will have many empty columns in the Employees table, when I enter Applicants information.

Only the Foreign Key for that individual needs to included in a record in either the Applications table or the Employee table

How can I achieve this?

Thanks.

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 20 2017, 11:52 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

As I mentioned, your data entry interface would be a main form bound to Individual and a subform bound to the applicant or to the employee table. Use the Parent/Child Linking Fields property of the subform control to specify the PK and FK. Access handles the rest.

--------------------

winterolympic
post Mar 20 2017, 01:10 PM
Post#8

Thanks!

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th November 2017 - 01:54 AM